How do you restrain a kid to vaccinate?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by rebelshope, Apr 9, 2009.

1. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Yup, that is basically my question: How do you restrain a kid to vaccinate?

I am having a hard time doing it myself. I am not sure how to hold the kid, pinch the skin, and inject?

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    If I am by myself, then I sit down on the stand, put them across my lap, kind of wrapping them around me so I have them under both arms, and hold them that way. They do not more.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I basically do it like Lori.... :wink:

Of course......... it is alot easier .....with 2 people... :greengrin:

4. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    part of my problem is that I am not really good at it yet either so it is twice as hard.

5. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Goat in lap, goat head under arm, reach over grab front leg armpit skin with arm holding the head, then with other hand give shot. if you got 2 then its way easy. one hold one shoot.

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I put the head between my legs like I'm a human milk stand. (Nice metal image there.) :ROFL:

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I do as Lori says. I had to do it for the first time on my own and I dont do CD/T shots real well, it went so well I felt real good about it

8. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    First, I lure my husband outside with the promise of something nice to eat. You know, a bit of sweetstuff right?

Then I gradually get him into the goat pen. Patience is key! Husbands will bolt if you startle them.

Once I've got him secured, I stuff a goat kid into his arms and give the shot. It's important to have your equipment set up.

Now, if the husband fusses, you can give him a stern warning, or even a thump. They must learn boundaries!

Afterward, put the goat kid back on the ground and give the husband a pat for being such a good boy. Then you can let him loose and give him his reward.

And that's how its done.

:wink: :ROFL:

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Epona142.....that is hilarious..... :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

rebelshope...don't worry we have all been in your shoes....and believe it or not I still manage to go all the way through the skin to the other side to inject it under the skin....I still at times....waste....some or all of it ...when I try to squirt the syringe.... :sigh: :doh: :wink:

10. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Hmmmm :? I think I resemble that remark :shades:

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Jason...did you mean "resent" that remark...?
    there are alot of females on TGS ....bare with us ...as we forget that men read it to... :wink:
    It's a girl thing ......We need more guys on TGS ........you know any.... :wink: :D

12. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Nope resemble the lured husband. not resent. she gets me to do things that way from time to time.

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh.......I see...Aha ....the jig is up..........that means....your a good husband ... :wink: :D

14. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :slapfloor: :slapfloor: :slapfloor:

15. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I got no man to tie me down . :shades:

So as good as that system sounds I am going with plan b, until I get better I am hauling them off to the vet to pay $4 a kid to do it. I can do the big guys but everytime I tried to stick that little kid they would squirm and I would pull it out. I just am not up to it this week. This week sucks. :sigh:

16. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    aw, feel better soon

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    the kids can be difficult....I can't blame you... if you don't have the time..... :hug:

18. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I put their head in my armpit... and use my other arm to cover their body and the same to give the injection =]

LW

19. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    You guys are pretty talented is all I can say :wink:

20. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hee he he! Jason...that is EXACTLY what my hubby would say!

Anyhow, I do the shots on my own....even did a tattoo for the first time, with the baby in the "vaccination" hold!

DH DOES get the job of holding the boys while I band them, he doesn't get out of that job! I think I intimidae him with those "wittle gween bands" :ROFL: