The Goat Spot Forum banner

How do you tell if a goat is pregnant??

4K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Bleyfarm 
#1 ·
So I'm praying it isn't so since she is only about 6 months old! But awhile back she somehow got into my bucks fenced in area. She is looking a little round at her belly. I feed her the same as all my other girls that are the same age. She has always been a little smaller than the rest, but not that much that I think would put so much extra on her. If she does end up pregnant can this kill her? She is a purebred nubian and we paid a lot of money for her. She's also my baby. :(

Sent from my iPhone using GoatSpot

#5 ·
What kind of buck? 6 months is young but I don't think it will be the end of the world. If you were planning to milk her, I wouldn't this time around. The people I got my oberhasli buckling had that happen, she got bred at 5 months, but everything turned out okay. So there is hope, and the fact that she is a Nubian is good, since they are a bigger breed.

#6 ·
You should mark the calendar as near as possible to the date she was exposed to the buck and figure a 145-155 day due date from there. Post pictures of her lady parts if it's more than a couple of months since that time. Experts here can make a call on her pregnancy or lack thereof, but nothing is certain short of a blood test.

#8 ·
I had a Toggenburg doe get in kid at 4 months!!! much to my horror.It was sad seeing her with the other kids so heavy pregnant and trying to be a kid playing.I didn't relies she had been with the buck till she was to far gone to give a needle.So kept her well fed and she kidded with twins without any fuss or drama at 9 months.I left the wether kid on her for 3 months and dried her off and reared her daughter.I didn't breed her for another year and she was a bit smaller than her half sibblings and twin sis. She did catch up after a year off dry and is now in kid again,teejae

#10 ·
Thanks everybody I will post some pics tomorrow. How do you get the supplies for drawing blood and sending it? I used to be a phlebotomist so I was planning on doing it myself. Just not sure where I can get supplies for it.

Sent from my iPhone using GoatSpot

#18 ·
Yes, you can really only tell from a pooch shot at 2-3 months. I would do a blood test as well.

#21 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.