How do you treat a cracked hoof?

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by mmahamilton, Feb 22, 2021 at 10:39 PM.

1. mmahamilton

mmahamilton Active Member

Jun 25, 2020
    indiana
    The other day I turned out my two wethers so I could see how they reacted to the 12" of snow we got. Well Toby learned that he could run at full speed and jump onto the ice where our pool used to be and slide all the way across. That area is a ring abt 25ft across that has ice abt 3" deep. He did this constantly for about 30 minutes until I put him back into his paddock. The next day I thought I would check everyone's hoofs since I haven't been doing that much since I've been recovering from covid ( can't breath in the cold) and I noticed a small vertical crack. I think he may have done this when he was being stupid on the ice! I'm going to try to get out to the barn one day this week and trim it back good. Is there anything that I can do to seal the crack? its not tender/sore and as far as I can tell there is no odor but I still cant smell much. Also, is there a good way to restrain him? He is so big now I'm worried I wont have the strength to handle him like I did before. I'm as week as a kitten since covid...I hate being like this!

MadHouse likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I hope you recover soon. Start by trimming the hoof, then determine. More than likely there will be nothing more than the trim.

Damfino and MadHouse like this.

3. mmahamilton

Jun 25, 2020
    indiana
    Thanks a lot! That was kind of what I was thinking but I wasn’t sure.

MadHouse likes this.
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Trim it down as much as you can. When you see pink stop.

Get a file and file at the top of the crack, file a indent line.
    It helps stop the crack from going further. Don’t go to, to deep.

Dip hoof in iodine/water.

Trim slowly and with time, the cracked area should grow out.

Be sure to keep the goat in a dry area and out of mud.

friesian49 and MadHouse like this.
  5. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    The best way to restrain a big, strong goat is by a halter snugged up tight to a stout post in a fence. Restrain his head at a high but comfortable angle because if he can get his head down he's better able to push you around when he struggles. Use your body to push him up against the fence and when you pick up his foot, hold it firmly at the pastern. If he struggles, try not to let go. Just move with him and wait until he calms down. If he learns he can pull his foot away he'll struggle harder next time. When you're done with his foot, wait until he's relaxed before letting it down, then pet and reward. I lied in the first sentence--actually, the best restraint for a big goat is good training. Teach him that he can't get away by struggling, and that you only let his foot down when he's relaxed and he'll soon learn good manners with his feet. Good luck!

6. mmahamilton

Jun 25, 2020
    indiana