How Do You Use Herbs Q/A ~ For Beginners and the Experienced!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Cedar Point Kikos, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Cedar Point Kikos

Cedar Point Kikos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Canada
    Hey all!

Wondering if there is anyone here that uses herbalism with their animals!
    If so for the fun of it, and because it would be helpful to folks just beginning with herbs and animals, think you all could answer these questions? As many or as few as you want :) Feel free to suggest other questions I should add. :) Thanks!

-What do you use to de-worm?
    -How to you deal with mineral deficiencies?
    -What is your favorite herb(s) and why?
    -What is working best for you in terms of what herbs you are giving?
    -How do you treat fairly common diseases? List disease and treatment (whatever ones are common in your area)
    -When do you get a vet or commercial items to heal an animal?
    -What do your goats really like?
    -What do you give newborns?
    -How does the way you are raising your goats effect what herbs you give them?
    -What herbs to you recommend starting with? List herb and reason

I'll start:
    -What do you use to de-worm? Fir Meadows DeWorm herbal mix, along with garlic and molasses.
    -What is your favorite herb(s) and why? Garlic (deworming, is lantibacterial, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, and anti parasitic, among a huge list!) cayenne (gets the heart going, moves blood, and is a general first aid treatment as a tincture in ACV, stops bleeding) Echinacea ( the well known immune boaster)
    -What is working best for you in terms of what herbs you are giving? What worked really well last winter was giving my goats herbs all winter along with their minerals. They did really well considering that was really hard winter. Herbs were basically all the 'main' herbs...oregano, Echinacea, comfrey, parsley...
    How do you treat fairly common diseases? List disease and treatment (whatever ones are common in your area) Well, CL I had once...cleaned it out with peroxide and then echinacea tincture. Gave to goat a mix of garlic, echinacea and I think oregano. It healed up very nice, but culled the goat anyways. Lice...ACV with cedarwood Essential Oil actually worked fairly good. Can't do it now since it's cold!
    Crab-apples, molasses, grain (it's a real treat to them!) and their de-worming mix! :D They all (well, everyone but Isabelle) LOVES to get de-wormed!
    -What do you give newborns? Cayenne tincture
    -How does the way you are raising your goats effect what herbs you give them? Because my goats are moved around in bush, they can self-medicate a lot. So I don't need to give herbs as much.
    -Echinacea. Immune stimulator, easy to grow, and goats love munching on it
    -Comfrey. Full of minerals, easy to grow and goats like it
    -Cayenne Peppers. For Cayenne Tincture. Stops bleeding, good for animals in labor, helps get the heart going, helps with energy....
    -Oregano. Anti-bacterial, boosts immune system

These herbs have HUGE list of beneficial things they do, this is just a short list of herbs and their uses :)

littleheathens likes this.
  2. J-TRanch

J-TRanch J-T.Ranch.Dairy.Goats

Jan 31, 2014
    Clayton, KS
    I will post in a minute!

Owner/operator
    J-T Ranch Dairy Goats
    NW KS

3. J-TRanch

J-TRanch J-T.Ranch.Dairy.Goats

Jan 31, 2014
    Clayton, KS
    I use both chemical and holistic methods with my goats.

-What do you use to de-worm?
    I use GI Soother and DwormA from Fir Meadows LLC --GI Soother for barberpole--DwormA for everything else.
    I have replamin right now... Im not experienced enough with herbs to know which to give to bump minerals.
    BUT I do give kelp to boost minerals
    Cayenne pepper..LOVE! Has saved many of my goats lives. And Garlic (jumps immune systems--use it for my chickens and my goats for deworming, etc)
    I deworm with the herb mixes for most of the year--and usually just in case I use ivomec once a year.
    I mash up garlic, cayenne, kelp, olive oil, peanut butter, dworma, gi soother, and another herbal dewormer (I cant think of the name right now) into a dish and give to the goats as a treat..
    -How do you treat fairly common diseases? List disease and treatment (whatever ones are common in your area) We thankfully don't have any diseases common around here...None of my goats have ever had a disease either thankfully.. I did have a barberpole problem in a goat I bought (gi soother fixed that up quick!)
    Last resort.
    Kelp!!
    Cayenne

Kelp-minerals
    GI soother- For barberpole
    DwormA- For other intestinal worms
    Cayenne-blood stopper
    Garlic-immune booster and dewormer

4. WalshKidsGoats

WalshKidsGoats Junior Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Yerington, Nevada
    I'm bumping this thread to get some more opinions on this! :)

5. Cedar Point Kikos

Oct 16, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks! I should of put a different title :) Maybe I'll repost and put a different title on it :)

6. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    I'll bite!

-What do you use to de-worm? Fir Meadow GI Soother (for cocci and barberpole) and DWorm A, combined twice a week.

-How to you deal with mineral deficiencies? I use lose minerals and copper boluses. I have used herbal minerals but it got a bit expensive for me.

-What is your favorite herb(s) and why? Garlic! Does that count, haha! When I add it to their dewormer I can see a difference. When I give it for snuffly noses it has always cleared it up for me.

-What is working best for you in terms of what herbs you are giving? The Dworm A and GI Soother has done the trick. Whenever I have pale lids I give an extra dose for a couple of days. Other than needing to chemically treat coccidia in kids, I haven't needed to chemically deworm my adults for over two years. In humid NJ, that's a big deal!

-How do you treat fairly common diseases? List disease and treatment (whatever ones are common in your area)
    Coccidia: I do treat coccidia chemically; I have treated it herbally though. When I treat herbally I did GI Sother every 15 minutes for an hour, then hourly until I saw improvement. After that I went to every 3 to 4 hours until the poop was clear. Then I gave it three times a day for three days to be sure it was kicked. It worked on a pretty bad case, but it was too labor intensive for me. I'm still hoping to find an effective herbal preventative so I don't have to treat.

-When do you get a vet or commercial items to heal an animal? When it comes to something I have not experienced before, or something that could be life threatening in a short time, I go to my chemicals or my vet right away, and support them herbally through treatment to speed the process.

-What do your goats really like? They love their herbal dewormer actually. I give it with a bit of molasses and water, and roll it into a cookie. Yum yum! Some of them took awhile to warm up to it and I had to drench them, but it won them all over in the end.

-What do you give newborns? I dip their umbilicals with Nav-All (herbal) which I found works very nicely. Cold kids get GI Soother, and I can attest that I really saw a difference when I was trying to maintain the temps. The Cayenne in GI Soother is what helps keep the blood flowing and the kid I gave it to had a better temp than her larger siblings.

-How does the way you are raising your goats effect what herbs you give them? I live in an area that is very rich in worms, with mild weather and lots of humidity. If I lived in a less wormy area I'd be able to deworm them just once a week or less. As it is twice a week keeps their eyelids just right.

-What herbs to you recommend starting with? List herb and reason: Raspberry! Give it to your pregnant does through late pregnancy and after kidding. I saw stronger pushes, better contractions, and a faster healing time when I used it. Also, Alfalfa! That's a well known one. ;) Great for calcium.

Goataddict likes this.
  7. kpolenz

kpolenz New Member

Jan 20, 2014
    What a great topic, very interesting and informative.
    Thank you Cider point Kikos for asking the question.
    Thank you all for taking the time to answers
    I wonder is there a book about this topic ? if not who is going to write one.

8. Cedar Point Kikos

Oct 16, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks kpolenz! :) I hope more people post :)

There is a book on herbs and goats, which helped me a lot, it doesn't do this Q/A stuff, but I really like it :)

It is: "Accessible Pet, Equine and Livestock Herbal" by Kat Drovdahl of Fir Meadow (http://store.firmeadowllc.com/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=376)

Another one is: "Natural Goat Care" by Pat Coleby. More about minerals though.

9. kpolenz

kpolenz New Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Thank you Cedar Point Kikos for the link, guess which book I have on my wish list.

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I recently started (february 2014) with herbal deworming still learning but ive been pleased so far.

Cant give any specifics to your questions because I honestly dont know yet. I have Kat's book on my Christmas list.

I can change the name of this for you. What do you want it called?

11. Cedar Point Kikos

Oct 16, 2013
    Canada
    Ummm, I don't exactly know...something that would catch peoples eye a bit more, and get both people who have used herbs and people who want to begin with herbs :)

Any ideas? :D

12. GoatieGranny

GoatieGranny Member

Jul 26, 2013
    I am not an Herbalist, but I've taken several classes over the years, and I continue to study herbs almost daily. One day I may go for the title, but for now, I'm just learning about them because I believe they are a cleaner, purer way to treat ailments and boost health.

-What do you use to de-worm? I use Molly's Herbal formula. I also add cayenne and garlic to the herb balls I make. Cayenne is excellent for the blood and helps warm them in the winter. (I don't give cayenne in the summer.) The garlic is anti-fungal, anti-parasitic, anti-biotic, anti-viral and more. It's just all around a great herb. In addition, we have black walnut trees surrounding our barn. Black Walnuts are anti-fungal and anti-parasitic. We have never had to deal with worms...and I'm very thankful for that.

We buy a mineral mix for goats from our local Organic Feed Mill. I also give them Nutritional Yeast, which I mix in with the minerals. They get a couple mouthfuls each day in the summer of comfrey, echinacea, Ragweed or St. John's Wort. They are all full of vitamins, minerals, immune system boosters, etc.

In general I really like plantain a lot. It's everywhere, it's great for healing wounds, soothing bee stings, drawing slivers, and it tastes good on salads. But that is for people. My favorite herb for the goats is probably ...oh dear...I don't know. I like them all!! If I had to really push myself to choose one, I guess it would be black walnut because it grows all around us, and keeps the worms away.

Everything I've mentioned is working well. In addition to herbs, I give raw, organic apple cider vinegar and organic molasses in their water most days, especially in the winter and if they appear to be feeling punk at all. (In heat, end of pregnancy, while in heat, extreme weather changes, if we sell a goat, at birth, etc. Kind of the same as when we give probiotics and baking soda.)

Thankfully, we've never had any disease. I am working at prevention by building strong immune systems, feeding organic food, etc. so we don't have to deal with illness.

We did have one situation last summer. Tabby had one swollen teat and a drip of blood on her vulva. I gave her a Usenea and goldenseal tincture for it. It was better in two days, with vast improvement at the end of the 1st 24 hours. I am assuming it was a bladder infection, but whatever it was, the anti-biotic herbs took care of it. I continued to give them to her for a few days...I think it was 5 days.

We have chemicals on had in case we need intervention. (Anti-biotics, wormers, B-12 in a bottle.) We've not had to use a vet in all the years we've had goats, but I would without hesitation if the goats needed any help that we could not give them. A serious wound or injury would call for veterinary help.

They love the herb balls I make to prevent worms. (The herb balls also have raw, organic honey in them, which is really good for health.) They love the herbs from the garden that they get in the summer/fall.

Only assistance in drinking mama's milk. It has everything they need. If one were to be cold or shivering, I would give cayenne and warm water bolus.

-How does the way you are raising your goats effect what herbs you give them?
    We are using herbs preventatively for the most part. We are using them to build strong, healthy goats who are able to fight off most minor issues due to having strong immune systems. If they should be exposed to a disease, they will have head starts in fighting it due to good health.

It depends on where you live. I would try to grow your own herbs according to your climate. For our area, comfrey and echinacea are good ones to start with. Chamomile is great for any eye infections or eye injuries. It is also calming if you have a goat that is stressed. Garlic is a good all around treatment for them, too. In addition, Cayenne is very beneficial.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  13. Cedar Point Kikos

Oct 16, 2013
    Canada

That's why I want to change the title :)

...I bet I'm north of you though :) (your location says most likely north of you :D )

14. GoatieGranny

GoatieGranny Member

Jul 26, 2013

LOL!! Right you are! :)

15. Cedar Point Kikos

Oct 16, 2013
    Canada
    Yes! :D Then again, I'm north of most folks, lol! :D

16. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sorry for the delay -- I have changed the title as requested :)

happy herb chatting :D

17. Cedar Point Kikos

Oct 16, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks Stacey! :) Hopefully that will get more responses :D

18. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I have really limited knowledge of herbs. I have used some of Mollie's herbals for preg. goats.
    Anyway- where does one purchase the herbs that you all have mentioned? (Besides Fias Co.)
    Is there a web site that has reasonable prices? Thanks!

19. Ranger1

Ranger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014