How Do You Use Herbs Q/A ~ For Beginners and the Experienced!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Cedar Point Kikos, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Driver

Driver Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Western Washington
    Hoping they'll like some treats soon. Is 10 weeks to young to drench?

2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA

3. Driver

Driver Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Western Washington
    Can I drench loh herb and garlic at same time?

Mix loh and garlic with water and maybe blend

4. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Yes you just have to blend the garlic finely!

5. Driver

Driver Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Western Washington
    Welp I drenched the little ladies. They weren't very willing participants but it done. They spit out some but anticipated they'd do that and made a bit extra.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  6. Driver

Driver Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Western Washington
    So this is the plan moving forward loh parasite formula 1x weekly along with garlic. Is this a good starting point for preventive care for my 10nweek old NDG. Anything I should add?

7. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Sounds great! If you would like you could add essential oils, but it isn't necessary!

Driver likes this.
  8. Driver

Driver Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Western Washington
    Which EO would you add for weekly preventatives?

Thanks!

9. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Driver likes this.
  10. Caileigh Jane Smith

Caileigh Jane Smith Active Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    I just skimmed through this whole thread! What interesting and helpful stuff! I did not know this was here.
    Question: if you give your milk goat raw garlic, do you find that the taste comes through the milk? I have a doe with a cough, and I'm thinking garlic could give her a boost, but I am leery of nasty garlic milk.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  11. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Some people say that the taste carries through, but most people say that it doesn’t!! You would have to try it yourself!!

12. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    I guess I'll give it a shot on a day when I'll be the only one drinking the milk, in case it tastes bad. :D

13. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    So this is my first year of using herbal dewormer (I'm using Molly’s), and I've been doing frequent fecals to determine if it's effective or not. I started out having my vet do fecals, but this last time, I sent the samples off to Meadow Mist. I asked for a Baermann test on one doe, because she had been coughing a bit. I think I'll stick with Meadow Mist until I feel confident to start doing my own fecals, as her breakdown of the results is very helpful.
    Anyway, the lung worm FEC is fairly low on the doe that got the Baermann, but her cough has actually gotten worse the past few days. She has 2 types of lung worm; Dictyocaulus & Muellerious. I got the fecal results last night, and this morning I started treating her with mullein leaf, oregano, and a dose of Molly’s weekly formula & tonic (the one that does NOT contain wormwood) morning and night. I do not have any fresh garlic, but I'll start using that when I get more tomorrow. I also gave her a little zinc this morning, since I know that is an immune booster.
    Does anyone have further recommendations? I am trying to avoid using wormwood or any other strong herbs, since my sister- in-law, who is pregnant, is drinking the milk from this doe, and several young children are drinking it, as well. I will use something stronger if I have to, but I am hoping to avoid that. I am also not averse to using chemicals, I was just really hoping to avoid that.
    Also, should I be concerned that coccidia levels are 'significant' in 2 of my goats? One of them is a pregnant doe, the other 1is a nearly 3 month old kid. They haven't really shown symptoms. I am assuming that maybe Molly’s isn't that effective against coccidia, and maybe I should either add something to it or switch to something else. Thoughts? Attached is a screenshot of the report from Meadow Mist.

Attached Files:

14. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Molly’s is a terrible wormer in my opinion. It does not treat coccidia either. You may want to treat chemically for the coccidia - herbal wormers have a harder time fighting it - but Kochi Free and essential oils such as OnGuard from DoTerra work well in my opinion.

If you want to avoid wormwood, keep using Molly’s and add fresh raw garlic and weekly essential oils. https://www.thegoatspot.net/threads/using-essential-oils-to-worm.188848/

15. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    Thanks for responding! Have you ever treated lung worm? If so, what did you use? I'm going to go read through the thread on EO's, now.

16. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Only suspected lungworm, cleared up with Garlic, thyme - preferably garlic barrier for the concentrate.

17. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    Thanks! I have thyme growing in my garden, so I'll add some of that. What is garlic barrier?

18. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    It’s a concentrate of garlic. Usually for garden management.

But to be extra cautious you could just treat them with Ivomec drench.

19. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    I really appreciate your prompt responses! I will look into using Ivomec...my main concern is milk withdrawal times. I am thinking that if I don't notice improvement after a few days of using herbs, then I will turn to something else. The essential oils are a good thought. They are just so expensive! It feels like a big initial investment.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  20. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    You probably won’t notice improvement after a few days of herbs - plus with lungworm, the scarring can last forever.

Ivomec’s milk withdrawal isn’t crazy.

Essential oils are a good investment - they last so LONG!!

Iluvlilly! likes this.