How do YOU wean retained kids?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by liz, Apr 23, 2008.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Was just wanting some ideas and thot it would be interesting to see how many different ways there are!

Teddy is 10 weeks old and right now is with his sire and "uncle Hank", separate though for fear of him being hurt.He can see them but they can't touch him.

Goldie is Tilly's doeling I retained, at night she is with the 2 wethers as well as Binky and Angel. Tilly and Boots are stalled away from them til after the 4pm milking, then Tilly gets her teats taped as well as Boots to allow the 3 kids to graze/browse with the herd....the girls will still call the kids to nurse...9 and 10 weeks old. When do you think they will "kick" them off or will I have to continually tape teats? When the wethers leave, it will just be Goldie...Teddy will stay with the boys....I don't know if penning her and Angel separate from the herd with a "dog box" type house will be the answer or not. :shrug:
    And...how long do they continually scream for their mom? I do keep them separate and my goodness you would think that they would make themselves deaf, they are all eating and drinking well on their own....they scream for a 1/2 hour straight, then take a break and start all over again!

WHAT DO YOU DO?

2. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Well for me I don't plan on weaning any of my retained doelings till it is time to put their dams back in with the buck in the fall. The doelings grow faster when allowed to nurse for an extended time. But I do not plan on milking. Can't you separate the doelings at night and milk in the mornings and then let the doelings have the milk all day? You might could make a udder bra of some sort that would cover the udder up and hide the teats.

3. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I don't wean does that I am retaining. And when I sell a kid from a mom I just pull the kid when the person arrives, of course I make sure that they are eating well and everything. Works for me. :greengrin:

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I actually have just the 1 doeling and she seems to be taking this weaning thing very well, better than the boys! The teat tape seems to work well though I went thru this 5 years ago with Tilly being weaned from Bootsie it was very difficult then as Bootsie still let her nurse at 3 years old! I'ts something how the boys seem to be "sissys" when it comes to weaning. Goldie is doing very well with no milk, she gets her grain 2x a day just as they all do and she is a "plate cleaner" too, she gets a small hanful of hay pellets as well as freechoice hay...when it comes to bedtime she gets up on the bench and lays and chews her cud,, she doesn't mind...it's when Tilly hollers for her that she gets aggitated and wants to nurse. Maybe Tilly is just too good of a mom?

5. Frozenloc2

Frozenloc2 New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Northern Maryland
    This will be my first year retaining a kid and I plan on leaving the doe with mom until I breed again in November. I think mom will kick her off in time but if not, by than I will put her in another pen with some other girls for awhile.

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Right now I think I'll keep doing what I'm doing, I do have another pen but I'm hoping that Tilly decides to not let her nurse. Tilly or Bootsie won't be bred again, age and the prolapse made the decision for me, so I hope to keep them in milk as long as I can.

7. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    This is a tricky one. I wean bucklings cold turkey. I put them in my breeding pen in groups if I can. Now that I have Redcard, he's serving as the baby sitter too so that works well. Lots of yelling of course but I've just not found a better method here to do buck weanings.

As for doelings. I normally don't pull them off their dams. I just leave them with them. That being said we are moving to a bottle raising/milking aspect of raising our goats. Since we're moving to that we are talking about building a junior pen which is for kids too old for the bottle but too small to be with the big goats. I would do it cold turkey as well. Milk the dam if you want to or if she fills in hard to get her on the road to drying.

8. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    i start milking once a day at age 6 weeks
    depending on how the babies look i start milking twice a day at 8 weeks or older - just depends
    momma usually kicks them off on her own
    this year i only have one buckling and he is already sold
    he will be leaving may 22 and i will leave him with momma until then

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Liz, funny you ask that. I am doing it this weekend.

What I do is I put the babies in my buck pen and I have the Buck out in another pasture. That way there is No way they can see the mom's, or get to the at all. They have a barn and a nice big area to be together. I am doing it this weekend because I wall be gone so I do not have to listen to them. That is the worst thing I have to do. I hate hearing them cry. :tears:

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    See, I knew there were lots of ways to do it! I usually sell all the kids so I don't normally have this "issue" but since I retained 1 doe out of 6 and 1 buckling out of 3 it's proving to be an earfull of screaming! I have always milked my girls so the option of leaving them on their moms is totally out for me, and the fact that Teddy is a "full blown" buck....making his face wet and spraying....well leaving him on his mom is TOTALLY out of the question! :p The ONLY thing that "cured" Tilly from nursing on Bootsie at 3 years olds was to take her to my mom's for a short 3 month "vacation", when I brought her home, Boots, Dolly treated her like a "new" goatie. I hope I don't have the same issues w/ Goldie and Tilly!

11. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I hate the screaming too but they usually get it out of their systems in a couple days. That's why I try to do groups at once. They seem to reassure one another and it gets all the yelling out at one time. Then they're happy go lucky in their new surroundings.