How do YOU wether?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by OhCee, May 18, 2010.

1. Band

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Cut

79.2%
  3. Burdizzo

12.5%
  4. Other (please explain in your post)

8.3%
  1. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    In my years in animal science and Vet medicine, we always castrated male sheep and goats traditionally- incision, pull, dip in iodine; they are freaked out for about 2 minutes, but then there is no rolling or pain after. I've noticed that almost everyone here bands, or at least those I've seen talk about it. I've banded too, but I always felt so bad that even days later the poor guys were visibly stressed. I'd love to know your personal experience and the method(s) you use, and why :)

If you band, why do you band instead of the other options?

If you do the other methods, why do you do that?

And if you don't use one of the 3 listed, please let me know what method you do use :) Oh! And this is for wethering bucklings, not older bucks... for the record :) But I'd be glad to know if/how you handle older bucks as well!

Thanks!

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I band ONLY because I have not learned how to cut. I do believe I would rather do that.

I am looking into taking Vet asst classes and then on to tech so hopefully I will learn how to cut.

3. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Oh that's cool :) Do you have a vet you use for your herd? I'm sure they'd help you learn, too. Livestock Vets are sooooo helpful in my experience.

It's really not that hard. If you do it in the first couple weeks, (and this sounds mean) but separate all the boys from their moms, they'll be freaking out about being away from mom and I've never had one even notice what we were doing. 2 minutes of separation, then they're done and back over into the mommy pen and they don't know any different.

When it comes down to it, they will bawl and cry if you restrain them away from their mom, regardless of what you're doing. It gives them something bigger to worry about than a little pinch. It dries up in a couple days and you're done. No worrying about "did I get both testes?" or "is the placement right?" So it's also less stress on the people AND the goaties from what I've seen :)

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Let me ask you this. I band my boys at about 10 weeks old. Is that to old to cut them then? Also how about infection? They are laying down a lot, do you have or have you seen a lot of infection?

I do have a wonderful vet, but I do not know of anyone that cuts, they all band.

5. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    My dad cuts his cattle. I always wondered why so many banded. I thought it was a difference between goats and calves or something. We haven't had to do this yet, so IDK what we'll do. Prolly get my dad to cut them, cuz I do know it really is like two minutes and they are like nothing ever even happened!!

6. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I've only ever banded a bull calf....I'd be game for trying to learn how to cut and snip. Do you use Lidocaine on them first? I don't think I could do it without numbing them first. I mean if I had testicles I'd want to be numbed :D

7. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    We always did it earlier in college, because we didn't want them breeding the rest of the herd and they were going to meat so we didn't want the hormones to be there (the oldest i did was 5 weeks). We never had any infections. As long as you have clean cuts, remove the testicles, and dip in iodine, they clot back at the incisions, and then they dry up in a few days. Some people give preemptive PenG along with whatever small dose pain meds they have on hand, but it's really up to you. Heck, some people don't even do the iodine. It really is a 'different strokes' kinda thing.

I don't know if 10 weeks would be ideal, I'd probably just ask your Vet... It really depends on whether the pulling (you don't cut the testes out, you pull them; the only cut is to the scrotum) is an option at 10 weeks. All other factors would be the same, I would think.

In sheep, it's done with tail docking. Since goaties already have cute/sanitary tails, we don't have to mess with the tails :)

8. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I band maybe its just the guy in me but I would rather have you put a band on me and it go numb and fall off then you cutting me open and ripping them out. We do it to our cattle if they get too big for the bands before we catch them. It grosses me out and makes me feel so bad for them.

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We use the burdizzo because its quick and bloodless, therefore no chance of infection and they're back to normal after ten minutes :)

10. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Yeah, you can lido first... really, everyone does it a little different. We didn't simply because that would add to the time away from their mom. They were so busy with the "Moooommmmmm! Mom mom mom mom where are you mommmmmy" stuff that they didn't even notice we'd done anything. And that was with tails getting docked too. Goats, I'd think would be A-OK since the tails aren't even a factor.

Some use lido, some use ice. Some use pre-emptive antibiotics, some don't. Heck, some still pull with their teeth (back in the day, your teeth were cleaner than your hands, so it WAS more sanitary. Now with the advent of antibacterial hand sanitizer... i dunno. I don't use my teeth lol). It can be as labor/time/money intensive as anyone chooses. If you do it on the cheap, you just need a scalpel or a sharp knife- no other equipment. So it can be fairly cheap. Just depends on what you are comfortable with.

Your environment that the kids are in really is what determines how worried you are about infection. Grazing open pasture vs. closed in small pens will be treated differently in most cases. Just depends on the owner/manager and how they choose to do things, in the end :)

Some people never have writhing kids after banding. So that's good that it works for them. But since I've seen it, I couldn't band. Doesn't make it wrong, just not for me.

11. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Yeah, the cutting thing is my job... don't think my man could do it either lol. That's something you have to be raised around as a guy, or you probably won't wanna do it.

Hell, most of my guy friends didn't even wanna neuter their male dogs out of sympathy! They pulled the "Would you neuter ME???" card lol. They stopped asking me that after a few 'Yup!' replies ;)

12. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I take them to my vet. He like's them to be at least 8 weeks old. They never even leave my arms. On the wee ones, it takes 5 minutes. My 2 year old took about 30 to 40 minutes. He was a big boy! He was sore for a couple days but I got a pain shot to give him and he felt much better. Well that and some jelly beans. :p I think it's been over a month now, and he has "lost" that Od Da La PeePee face cologne. :laugh: I can let him rub his face on me before work and not smell like a port-a-potty. Thank you Dr. Berry. You are the man.

Gina

13. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

Oh that is great. I love the Cologne. :ROFL: That is great.

I did have tow boys done by the vet years ago, They of course were cut. They were sore, and one did get a nasty infection, but they were like 9 months old. The vet said he had never seen bucks that large at that age.

14. Tom Hayden

Tom Hayden New Member

May 10, 2010
    I band within the first week.They're too hard to catch after that .They're a little stiff for a day then they're back to normal.This year I had one I couldn't band because one testicle hadn't descended,I tried every week til he was a month old.It never came down so I took him to the sale barn.

15. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    It is not at all uncommon for the testicle to not descend at that young of a age. 1 Week is rather young, plus I can not believe the bad would hurt that bad at all, beings they are so small.

I do it at about 3 months so they get some extra growth on them.

16. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    My man is squeemish about these things too I had his friend help me band.
    I would love to learn how to snip my vet says its much easier on them. But I would still need a helper you mention messing with testicles & DH turns green & disappears.
    Most of the time, unless they are going as pets they just go to the buyer intact.
    Mrs Lam you cracked too me up to with your references to Peepee Face Colgne!

17. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Nancy,

When I took Romeo to the vet, (we did it on the pavement because he fell out of the truck when Doc put hm under) this older couple came out and stood there watching. The man looked at Dr.Berry and asked if he brought his two son-in-laws, would he show him how to snip them! His wife just shook her head yes and said they are such jerks. LOL!

Gina

18. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    LOL wowwww that's awesome :) I hope my parents never feel that way about my guy lol...

19. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

We band because in the Boer world, no sacks are allowed to be left. Don't know why.

20. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    We banded our whether because he was already 3 months old when we got him, so the quick cut and pull was out of the question. He only looked like he was in a little pain for the first couple hours. I know that the penis quits growing once they are neutered, and the earlier the castration is done the more likely the chance for urinary calculi. Since our males will be raised for meat I may just start snipping them myself when they are a few days old and pulling the testicles out. But, for those raising/selling/showing whethers for pets it seems the best option is to wait until they are older to castrate and then it's either banding them, the burdizzo, or paying a vet bill.