The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/sto...grower-supreme-cattle-feed-50-lb?cm_vc=-10005
I'm going to order a pallet for a few of my calfs but was thinking maybe I could also feed to the goats. The price is good and seems like good stuff but I'll let someone better say if it looks good to give to the girls. I would go to bred and nursing and my weaning Boer does. I have also started them on alfalfa hay. So input?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Personally, the word Purina would make me keep shopping.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Well, what kind of goats do you have? 14% protein isn't the greatest but not the worst either. It appears that this has no copper, so I'm going to say "no" for the goats. I give a good loose mineral manna pro, that has copper in it but I also like to have any feed I give them have some copper. I've liked the noble goat dairy and goat chow, but the goat chow has too much molasses in my opinion.... I'm going to be using spent brewery grain, and the Nutrena brand....

·
Registered
905 Posts
I would stay away from Purina myself. They usually use a lot of filler and sub-quality ingredients. They also use GMOs, last I heard.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took a tag it doesn't list everything in it on ts site. What I liked about it but maybe its really not that important is the second ingredients in it is safflower seed the first was west. I also liked that it was high in calcium which I think is good (???) And most of all the price. I'm paying 0.25 a lb for a wet cob. It has 8% proteins and I think 2% fat. This after the 5% discount will be 0.19 a lb. I also like the noble but is so expensive. I have Boer does....guess I should have mentioned that ;). I don't mind tweaking it a bit. I also copper bolus everyone very often and have minerals out thatthey really never touch lol I also have 16% protein tubs out for them
This year the kids are going to be put on noble as their only grain so I know the money is going to add up fast.
Maybe I can do a mix of this and noble. Other then being Purina and shy on the protein does it look OK?

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It looks okay to me. I've seen a lot worse...
Lol OK :)
I mainly just want to make sure it will not make them sick. It has more calcium then any goat feed I have seen I figure its a good thing for bred and nursing does as well as growing girls but I have been wrong many many times ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts