How early can they breed?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Mandoziz, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Mandoziz

Mandoziz New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    My two kids are a month old (one boy, one girl) and the male rides his sister around humping her constantly. I see pink when he doing this but only about half an inch. I was going to hold off banding him until around 8 weeks to let his plumbing mature (I lost a wether to urinary calculi two years ago so I'm a bit scared of it). Can he breed his sister before 8 weeks? Should I band him sooner?

Also, once he's banded can he successfully breed until his testes fall off?

Thank you for any advice!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    What breed are they?

When you band... there will still be live sperm in there ...but for a short period of time..... :wink:

3. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

If you are worried about him breeding her I'd wean HIM at 8 weeks and keep him away from mom and sister. Then band him at 12 weeks so his tract is fully developed. :)

4. Mandoziz

Mandoziz New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    They are half Nubian half Boer. He's a big boy already 30 pounds at 30 days old. All that rich nubian milk.
    I guess I could wean him early but I'd rather not have to deal with the crying, poor little guy is really close with his sister. Anyone seen a buckling breed that early (8 weeks)?

So waiting until 12 weeks would be that much better than 8 weeks?

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    They should be OK for a while then.... if they are nubian/boer.... with bucklings ...I usually pull the boers at 2.5 months old at the earliest...especially if... I see the thing...coming out...

Wow.....He is a big boy...sounds really nice...love to see a pic of him.... The doelings start later with worrying about getting preggo.... at 1 month old and being that breed... they are OK for a bit longer.... :wink:

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Just wean him at eight weeks and band within a few weeks after that if you want. They should be ok until weaning. ;)

7. Mandoziz

Mandoziz New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Thank you guys for the advice! I won't worry about them breeding for at least a bit longer. Here is my big buckling, Heston. He's such a doll. They live in the insulated shop in a pen while the weather is horrible (it's 7 degrees out with a windchill making it feel like -16). It never gets below 30 degrees in there.

Attached Files:

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh he is huge and really nice.... :love: I see... he is getting plenty of milk.. as he has milk goiter..... :hi5: :wink: :thumb:

9. comingsummers

comingsummers New Member

May 6, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    What a handsome boy! You must be so proud. He difinitely looks like he is getting plenty to eat. lol

10. Mandoziz

Mandoziz New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Thank you both! Yes, he knows he's handsome. He sure thinks he's a ladies man too. lol
    These are my first (and last) goat kids, I sure didn't think they would grow this fast! I can see why people breed every year, they are a joy to have around the yard.

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  12. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Wow he's a beauty! I wouldn't worry too much about him breeding his sister though. If he were a breed that breeds year round it would be a definite concern but nubians and Boers are seasonal breeders and the doeling is unlikely to come into estrus this early.

13. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I agree with Jess about not worrying but Boers are not seasonal breeders they breed year round but the Nubians are seasonal breeders just so you know.