how early do I milk the extra milk

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Hannah, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Hannah

Hannah New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    ms
    My doe in 2-3 months pregnant. when do I milk the extra clostrum out to put in the freezer :whatgoat:

2. VickiH

VickiH New Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Ohio
    After she kids - I think for the first 24 hours or so.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    After she kids and her babies get chance to nurse....ONLY if you are pulling for CAE prevention and bottlefeeding will you milk mom totally out after she delivers.
    Don't try and milk her before delivery as this will expell the natural plug in the teat and open the orifice to bacteria.

4. Hannah

Hannah New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    ms
    ok this is my first time owning goats so I basicly know nothing

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome to the WONDERFUL WORLD of Goats!! Everyone here has been new at one time...ask anything you want, theres always someone who has an answer. :hug:

What breed is your preggy girl?

6. Hannah

Hannah New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    ms
    she is a nigerian dwarf and the sire was also a dwarf. I want to show but there is not a milking class here. so we are showing boers

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Be aware that nigerians tend to deliver around day 145 of the pregnancy...do you have a due date or a breed date with her?

It will make things much easier to know exactly when she could kid, The standard sized goats tend to kid after day 150...oh and if you have a Boer buck, please be sure to keep your little doe separate from him because a standard buck breeding a mini can cause tragic results with too big of kids.

8. Hannah

Hannah New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    ms
    I do not know the exact due date. I did it purposely because if I knew when she was due I would go nuts. but I do know the month she is maybe four months. is there a kind of food or shot I need to feed her. it said in a book that she needs alfalfa hay for the when she is 3 months. next time I will mark the due date exact. we have no bucks right now