How early is safe? (To deliver)

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by firelight27, Apr 29, 2010.

1. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    I was just curious what the earliest was anyone has experienced with a doe who gave birth before her due date. And how early is too early, in your experience, for the kids to be alright.

I ask because one of my new does is bagging up, and the breeder swears she isn't due until mid to late June. She swears she put her in with the buck in mid/late January. I really doubt she will go that long based on her udder progression. I'd give her a month at the most. That would put them at a month premature. Of course, the lady could be wrong and not really remember correctly...which would make me slightly happier as I wouldn't be worried about premature babies.

Of course she also finally told me that both girls were in until March. SO, the one who was put in December who she said was due in May could have gotten bred in January or March...so could be due as late as freaking August. *Sigh*. I don't like it when people aren't more accurate.

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    day 140 is the safe point

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup 140 any earlier then that the kids rarely survive.

As to bagging up -- that can happen months before kidding. Its when they loose their ligaments, go posty and start pushign you have a problem if its before 140 ;)

4. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    My FF this year started bagging up nearly six weeks before she kidded. Granted this is more normal with a FF than an experienced mom, but still, it had me worried as well.

5. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Well then, maybe she'll have an enormous udder. *Crosses fingers*...Because at this point, she looks like my old white doe...who was an experienced mamma. When she got to Pearl's current size you knew she was kidding within the next two weeks. She still has very strong ligaments, and the babies are doing backflips in her tummy. The skin and texture of her udder, however, doesn't feel anywhere near tight. I just worry because the dates I were given turned out to be very off, and I don't think the woman really has a clue and might have everything completely backwards. Which makes me even more of a basket case. Lol.

Here is another question. How long is the record for any of you, for a doe being overdue. I'm just curious. I've heard amazing stories of super over-due mares...but haven't heard any goat stories yet.