How far do you go to show?

Discussion in 'Show Circuit' started by Idahodreamer, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

I won't say I'm going to show for sure---but my mom and I are thinking of doing it after we've successfully started a small herd---which so far, has been a nice little daydream.
    But Anyway, I was just really curious---how far do you go to show, and where do you stay and do you have any money saving tips?
    thankyou. ;)

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I go as far as I feel like it. So far thats been 2+ hours to north jersey. I stayed over night at a friends house. but i could have stayed at the place where the show was held. that was a two day show otherwise I usually only go to local shows that that are 2 shows in one day.

I may go to Mass but i have a friend who lives there so I can easily just stay with her.

3. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

I was just on the ADGA website to look at their WA shows
    The State Fair is in Yakima, four hours from where I live,
    and then there's another show in Spokane, and I have some friends up there.
    All the rest are on the coast. . .
    You've got a better situation going Stacy. ;)

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well not really. So far all teh shows have been over an hour + away and thats only like 2 shows so really there are just a handful or less shows in NJ

I went to 3 shows this year

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    we had a usbga show last year, that ended up being less than 1 mile away. lucky! but theyre considering some in soldotna or fairbanks, both about 4-6 hours drive north and south

6. harmonygoats

harmonygoats New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Northern Arkansas
    We go about 3-4 hours away. We always stay in the barn with the animals. Most shows we are there 3-4 days anyway. We always take a cooler with food, sometimes a coffee pot and microwave too.

7. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    I once went with a friend to a goat show in Washington. My mom went to a Wyoming when they had the nationals there. She was going to go to this year's Nationals-but it just didn't work out for her to go this year. The last few years though I have been sticking to all the local goat shows.

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I have gone as far as oregon and idaho for shows. I have stayed at friends houses, camped, stayed in the barn. stayed in the back of the bronco one time. at puyallup we have a friend that had an rv they had there anyways so we used that.
    beth

9. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    This is a great question! When we started out it took a good couple of yrs before we took a few to a show. If you are from a family that has shown anything you'll get the hang of the logistics alot quicker than somebody who has never done it.
    We have camped, rented motel rooms, stayed with friends near the fairgrounds. Thats the best.
    For us it depends on the budget. And the distance. Im not one for waking up at 3am to load goats drive thru rush hr traffic etc.
    We always fill a cooler full of stuff. Bagels or bread, different slices of meat to make sanwiches.
    I can snack on that all day dont need to buy a meal.
    If on the road we stop at grocery deli for something cheap to eat. Sometimes its not worth it. You'll get to know your route what stores have OK deli's.
    I am a coffee snob. But you know what? I can live a day or two with crummy coffee its a trade off. Tho I do note where the good coffee stand are at fairgrounds LOL.

10. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

We are pretty lucky- we have quite a few shows that are just 15 minutes down the road from us, and most shows are under an hour away, I guess I have taken that for granted now seeing how far some of you have to go!

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am in CO and I was going to go to the Texas State Fair, but they canceled their Cashmere goat show. :( I had my heart set on it. Then I was looking at going to the Oregon Fall fiber fest. That is I believe Map quest said 23 hours away. The ONLY reason I am not doing that one is my truck was in a accident and I do not trust it to go that far.

12. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Talitha, you are pretty close to the WA ID border, there are lots of shows in Id every year. I know a lot of people from over here that go to the big four Ring show over there. We mostly have Fairs here. There is a two ring show in Stanwood every ywear but the attendance the last time i went was pretty small. Alpines didnt even sanction. There used to be a big show down in Deer Oark, but i have never gone to that one.
    We usually hit the Puyallup fair, the Evergreen fair. The local Island County fair, even though its not sanctioned its cheap and easy to get to. Some years we go to the Jefferson county fair. Because the Entry is free and we can go for the day. Again its not sanctioned but the show secretary they have is awsome. And they usually get judges that i never get judged under. Its nice for someone elses opinion.
    AS for money saving tips, bring a cooler, drinks things for sandwhiches. Apples and oranges and chips dont have to be in there. When we camp, we bring a fold up table, and the propane camping two burner stove. We make chile or other easy things. If you have friends that show, see if you can haul with them and split the gas.
    A big money saver is not getting stalls. We have a fence type thing that we put on the back of the trailer, and the milkers just go in there. The kids get locked in the front part of the trailer and we access them from the side door. Of course for most fairs you have to get stalls.
    beth

13. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    Our average show is 5-6 hours one way.
    We raise Myotonics and since there are only 5-6 shows throughtout the year we usually have to travel pretty far to get to go.
    the closest is 1.5 hours and the furthest show we go to is 8 hours.

14. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    money saving tips ...

car pool and trailer pool, with other breeders along the way. save petrol money
    sleep in a swag in the barn
    take your own food - show food is expensive
    cheap generic products are usually just as good as the expensive stuff - eg. dishwashing detergent is just as good for washing animals as special livestock or horse shampoo

15. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

I do most of that Keren also. My problem is I carpool and I get stuck with the whole expense, and when we can we share rooms because most the places we go you can not stay in the bar, and as for the food, wow I can not tell you the last time I bought food at a show. I always bring coolers full of water, and food and snack foods. My problem is the goats get all the snack foods because they look at em with those "just one please" look. SO you do then they all see it and they all want just one. :ROFL:

16. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I'm hoping to go to the Idaho show and the Oregon show next year.... a lot of driving since I'm in Southern, CA... but there aren't a lot of CA shows for fainting goats and there is only 1 for mini silkies.

17. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Furtherest I've gone is about 4 hours but I try to keep it under 3.

18. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i have traveled 3 to 4 hrs to a show. i bring a microwave,coffee pot & all kinds of food to eat. i have aair mattress & i usually sleep in my trailer so i can keep an eye on my girls. it depends on how much premium money they pay also. i go to KY to a show that is a 2 ring show so that is even more savings. plus if you stay over night it is like going away for a couple of days. last year i showed in TN, KY & IN

19. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    Well if any one is coming up through CA on I-5 near Redding Ca and needs a spot to stop for the night or just a safe place to check on yor stock. Drop me a line. I would be happy to host.

20. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    I live in NE ohio and I travel to Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Maryland, NY, PA, and others in midwest and east. Its only worth it if you think you can be competitive. It also depends on judges, whether they are political or biast or if we just have "personality conflicts". As far as staying, if its a two day show, we just bring a blow up mattress and stay in the trailer (tack room). The only time we stay in hotels is at nationals (its part of its appeal) :) Hope you enjoy showing! I sure do.

nutmegfarm.webs.com/