How fast do you milk?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by shadycreekgoats, Jun 6, 2009.

1. shadycreekgoats

shadycreekgoats New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    In the past couple of weeks, my doe's milk has been tasting bad. In Storeys Guide to Raising Dairy Goats, it says milk can have a bad flavor if you milk too fast, resulting in the milk foaming. How many pulses/squirts do you a minute? The book say it is best to do about 66 per minute and I used to do it about 160-180 a min. What could be the cause? :shrug:
  2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Wow, I never knew that...I milk 2 nigi's in the am and 3 in the pm...takes me 10 minutes to milk 2 and 15 for 3.

Milk has never tasted funny, even with foam.

3. harmonygoats

harmonygoats New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Northern Arkansas
    Our milk is foamy too but doesn't taste off. Hand milk 11 in about 45 min.
  4. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    I usually allow 5 mins per doe ... 2-3 mins for the actual milking depending on capacity, orifice size, manners etc and then the rest for catching, restraining, brushing, wash down, milk storage etc.

I milk VERY quickly (lots of squirts) but I've never counted squirts/min lol never even thought of that

Healthy milk foams - unhealthy milk tends not to. Mine is milked very fast, foams a heap, and tastes great

My doe went off her milk flavour wise a while back, wormed and de-liced and she is back to normal
  5. goatshows

goatshows New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    The only time that my milk foams is when it is like 50 degrees and warmer out side. In the winter here in New England I get very little to no foam.
  6. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    We use a milking machine. When I hand milked I didn't have any bad taste with milk that foamed. At one point the milk did taste bad and we changed what they were eating and it tasted good like before.

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I'm not sure how fast I milk, but I milk really fast by hand and our milk foams up and we've never had a problem with it tasting off.

If its tasting off, are you getting the milk cooled down fast enough? The milk should get down to 35-40 degrees within an hour of leaving the goat. We usually strain ours once outside in the barn, then take it in the house right away when we are done milking everybody, strain it again and put it in an ice bath for an hour and we've found that is the best for milk. Diet plays a role as well, if they are not up to specs with their minerals then the milk can taste off.
  8. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I milk 3 nigerians in about 7 min, the milk foams a lot and the kids drinking the milk never seem to mind!
  9. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    I milk one Nubian(right now) on the machine it takes mabey 3-5min of actual milking the pulser is set for a 55-5per/min and the vaccum is set at -15.

If you use a machine you need to clean the hoses with a sanitizing solution of bleach and water. About 1/4c bleach to around 3 gal of water then toss the inflations in the bucket and turn the machine on let it suck the solution thru. Then soap and water wash the bucket and lid(keep the water out of the pulser or you will have to rebuild it) but her milk only seems to taste bad when we mishandel it, dont get it cold fast enough or forget to strain(got kids helpin).
  10. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    I have done it in 10-15 minutes but I milk one handed though.
  11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
  12. ksacres

ksacres New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    San Antonio Texas
    I handmilk five does (all good producers 8+ pounds), two of which have absurdly small teats (thank you La Mancha teat fairy LOL), in about forty minutes. That includes marching each individual doe to and from my miking area, tying her to the stand, cleaning udders with baby wipes, stripping, and spraying with Fight-Bac (I LOVE that stuff!!!). If I had to guess, I would say less than half the time is actually spent milking.

I think you may want to do a california mastitis test, early or low grade mastitis infections produce nasty tasting milk. Also, a doe in heat can have off flavored milk, especially if it comes and goes in cycles.
  13. shadycreekgoats

shadycreekgoats New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Thanks everyone! I am now back to milking really fast, I think the problem is not getting the milk cold fast enough.

Thank you so much, Stacey for showing me that thread! :hug: It really helped! :) On it, "HeavenlyHaven" said that they bring a pail of ice out with a jar and strain it immediately after milking! I going to try that! I only strain it once I get inside. Should I strain it twice? Thank you! :hug:
  14. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Once should be enough, I have started to milk into the strainer over a quart jar immersed in an ice/water bath because of the "heat wave" great.

I have one of those stainless steel strainers that the paper filter fits into, it rests perfectly into mason jars.