The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And for those of you who wonder. I got two goats! both pygmy Nubian. Momma and her baby. But he's not a baby anymore! and there names are Calypso and Willie.

·
Premium Member
4,629 Posts
how fast does it take before the milk goes bad? how fast does it half to be in the fridge after milking?
I have had milk in my fridge for over a week and it be fine. If it smells bad dont drink it. As far as how soon to fridge.... as soon as you can get it there. I know not specific but that is all i got. Some people do an ice bath to cool it quickly. I think that would apply when you are gettin a lot of milk. My gracie gives me two cups once a day milkin right now so i just put it in the fridge. That works for me cause it is not a lot of milk. But if i got a half a gallon or more at a time ....yea i would probably ice bath it.

·
Registered
930 Posts
We get about 3 gallons a milking, we filter into half gallon mason jars and stick them in the fridge. I usually don't put 3 gallons in a day though, most of it feeds the kids and the pigs. If I save a couple gallons for friends I filter into the half gallon jars then fill my sink with cold water to bring the temp down faster. 4 jars of milk takes a long time to cool just in the fridge. But with just the cold water bath I have never had any issues, keeps up to 2 weeks. I do use a machine to milk so there isn't much stuff in the milk, I'm sure that helps.

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,481 Posts
Mine lasted about 2 weeks. Never put in ice. Just filtered and into the refrigerator.
^^ Ditto. We milk a gallon and a half a day currently and I just filter and put in the fridge. We've had it last about 2 weeks. We generally don't have it that long though as we're always cycling though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts