how fat do I want my buck?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by lesserweevil, Jun 18, 2009.

1. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    How fat do I want my buck before rutting season? I know it makes no difference how wide his belly is, but that you tell how fat he is scoring him on his backbone like sheep - I think.

When I got Fionn he was between condition score 1 and 2 I think. I would say now that he is a 3 - although I haven't seen him in 2 weeks so he might be between 3 and 4. Do I want to reduce his feed so that he stays there or do I want him to get better-built. He is still growing, he was born Spring 08, so I don't want him to lose condition or to stop growing.

He is Saanen and is currently getting between 2 and 3 cups a day of 18% ewe nuts (we can't get goat feed here, and he got a copper injection when I got him so he isn't deficient, dont worry)

I want him in the best condition for rutting season - he has only 3 does to serve, but I don't want him to get really skinny again anyway. But I have never had a buck before so I'm not sure what best condition IS for a buck :greengrin:

LW

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I was told to beef him up before rutt because he wont eat much during rutt. dont know what that means for you specifically body score wise but I personally would try to have him at a 4 going in to rutt

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sorry , not knowing about scores but with my mini bucks, even though they'll breed year round, they have a regular rut in the late summer early fall that takes alot out of their condition. They do nothing but eat before that, browse as well as hay and each gets 2 cups of grain in the afternoon.....they are all for the does during rut and will burn alot of calories"trying" to get them so I pay attention to their condition and up their grain if I need to.

4. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Maybe my bicks are weird, they really dont lose condition over the rut season. I have never had a problem. I have seen other bucks looking downright thin when the rut season is upon them. AS far as condition i like my bucks just like my does. Round but not fat.
    beth

5. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I was really surprised how skinny Casanova (Cashmere) was when he shed out his fiber! I just felt awful, because I thought he was eating well. He looks really good now. I'd say he'd score a 3...I'm going to try to get him a little heavier this year...last year he only bred my 4 "teenagers", this year he has all the girls (8) to himself.

The Nigerians were in better condition all year. They would both score a 3. They don't seem to get too fat.

They get a mix of orchard grass, timothy, alfalfa. I haven't fed the bucks much grain...I'll feed them more this year.

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I agree with Stacey. You do not want them FAT for breeding but you wnat them in good condition. Mine get real thin during rut, I do not care how much I feed them, so I try to get them in a good condition before breeding.

Di, With Casanove, looking good but feeling bad, that is very common in cashmere. That is why I tell my 4Hers to FEEL the goats, don't just look at them.

I have a older 4Her (she is out now) that has a buck Casanova.

7. Graffogefarms

Graffogefarms New Member

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    We're using a high energy beef - and it seems to be doing them good this year - I know the pic was a distance away, and I also know front of house is a mess - but we love our goats!
    This is a picture of our BA, Wodin and his son minty, who is out of a tog/alpine cross.
    Can't tell the difference - Wodin has a split ear from his tag, other than that and a brown spot on minty#s shoulder. they look the same - but look at the coats! And they have put on more weight since this picture a month ago. -

[​IMG]

8. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    thanks guys!

I will post a picture of Fionn if I ever get around to it when I'm at home! I was home for 1 day yesterday after returning from Alaska and managed to get a new fence put up - sadly it only goes along one side of a paddock, so the other 3 sides still need attention :wink:

LW

9. ksacres

ksacres New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    San Antonio Texas
    You don't want your goats fat. That is one of the most common mistakes people make. It is better for your goats' health AND fertility to err on the side of thin, rather than on the side of fat. That goes for both bucks and does.

We give "lead feed" to our bucks, beginning with a tiny amount about six weeks before I plan to use them and gradually increasing the amount to about two-three pounds daily depending on the size of the buck, how much we are using him, and how worked up he is getting, then gradually decreasing the amount as they go out of rut/all the does get bred. Always they have free choice hay. Some bucks lose a lot of condition, and some don't. Generally, I prefer the ones that lose condition, it means they are aggressive breeders and will get your does settled if it is at all possible. Even when we are graining, our bucks average protein intake is about 12-13%. We don't like the boys to have a lot of protein, they get carbohydrate energy to keep up the energy.