The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't yet brought home any animals and I am in the process of preparing my facility. So I was shopping for fence at Tractor Supply and they had rolls of mesh fencing that was labeled for sheep and goats and seemed right in every way but one. It was only 4' high. Is this enough? It seems short to me.

thanks
Bill

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Yep 4ft is fine :) I have a mixture of the 4ft sheep and goat fence and 6ft dog kennel panels... I like they both... But be careful with the 4x4 squares! Little babies can fit through ;) at least my Nigerians can ;)
I am looking to get the 2x4 fence to make a baby pen out of.. That way I don't have to worry about anyone getting stuck or out :)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I think it depends on the area you live in, and what kind of wild life you have around. I put a 6 foot fence all around the outside of my pasture cause of living in the country side and we hear coyotes almost every night. Also I have seen white tail deer jump a four foot fence very easily. But this is just my thoughts on fencing.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I think it depends on the area you live in, and what kind of wild life you have around. I put a 6 foot fence all around the outside of my pasture cause of living in the country side and we hear coyotes almost every night. Also I have seen white tail deer jump a four foot fence very easily. But this is just my thoughts on fencing.
That is a very good point.. I dont always think of these things right away... I have to sit and ponder for a while lol!

·
Super Moderator
58,832 Posts
Deer can easily jump a 6 foot fence too. I have friends who have 6 foot fence and it doesn't keep the deer out at all. But does keep other predators out.

You will have to decide what you are trying to keep out. I have 4 foot fence and it works fine for me but I don't have a serious predator problem.

·
14,760 Posts
We use 4ft fence too, but the field type fencing. It doesn't keep deer out, but where we are located, we'd rather the deer cross the back part of our property <long and narrow> than try to find a way around and end up on the road instead.
We haven't had predator problems either.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Deer shouldn't be a problem, right? Sounds like the 4' going to be the one I get. I do have a LOT of deer, plus coyote, bobcat & wild hogs. Therefore, I am also planning a couple strands of electric fence.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Bill

·
4-H Secretary for Life ^.^
985 Posts
Welcome to TGS, Bill!
We have mostly small breeds- Nigerians and Angoras with a 5 foot fence, no problem. Good luck fencing!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts