The Goat Spot Forum banner

How important is xing the bud after burn.

849 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  StaceyRosado 
#1 ·
Hi all. I am brand new to this forum and raising dairy goats so..... My doe Luna, a nubian 2nd freshener, gave birth to a gorgeous singelton doeling 8#1oz named cleopatra on march 6. I disbudded on Sat march 14. I use a "Rhinehart X50 Disbudding Iron with Small Caprine Tip". I got a great burn looks great but I didn't burn the bud in the center. I read in here after I did the deed that alot of you do that. I got down to the white(skull) on both sides. She seeped a very tiny bit several min after the burn, but we blue koted her head(very comical to see a red doeling with white ears and a blue forehead btw). Please tell me I dont have to re burn, or can i just go and x-burn the bud now? :?

#2 ·
chances are she will be fine. its the bucks that you really need to do the extra burning on. If it starts to grow back then just reburn and do the X

But I wouldnt go back and do it until you are sure that the burn job you did wasnt good enough. Chances are it was though and great job on doing it yourself :thumb:

welcome to TGS :cool:

#3 ·
I would like to welcome you here to the goat spot. :wave: So glad you are here with us.

Congratulations on the new baby doe. Do you have a picture of her? We love pictures.

I can not help you on the horn thing because I do not do that, but I am sure someone will help you.

#4 ·
I will get some pics up asap. Just doin this on a work comp and dont have any here. And thx for the good words bout doin it myself. I just figured if I was starting a herd I should try to do as much myself as I can. :type:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.