How Late can you take the horns off?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by rocky_ridge_goats, Dec 15, 2010.

1. rocky_ridge_goats

rocky_ridge_goats New Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Here is the rundown... When we got my goats, it was a bit of an impulse buy at an Amish Benefit Auction. We were walking around and I saw them, and I voiced to my dad that I had always loved goats and these particular ones were amazingly adorable. (They are, and they were). Later that afternoon, I was standing with my dad and my little sister bought them, the Amish boys holding them asked us if I wanted one or two. I immediately said two, and I am glad I did. Now the boys are about 6 months old, and their horns aren't off, we just haven't had the money to get them taken care of. The one, Cricket, uses his horns on me frequently, sometimes on purpose and sometimes not. Since the horns are dangerous, how late can you take them off?

2. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Is Cricket a buck or a wether? If he is using his horns on you, he needs to be reprimanded. I would use the vinegar water in a squirt bottle aimed at his face.

As far as dehorning.... you can either have a vet dehorn him (which is pretty painful) or you can band them. He is too old to disbud as that should be done no later than 2 weeks old.

3. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Please dont have the vet do it.....

I got a goat, she was 2 months old and was never disbudded, we asked the vet and he said wait until 4 months and then bring them in

So, he put her under, and like DUG into my babies head, plus, even though she was under, she was SCREAMING. I was crying so bad, it was the most horrible thing ive ever had to see.

Luckily my baby girl was fine, she also is my only goat wth no scurs! But I would do banding, if I had known...

Good luck!

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    They are wethers right? Their horns should be similar in growth to a does IF they lost their jewels before 3-4 months old. Banding them would be less traumatic, you can do it yourself too...theres a thread here on how to do it if you do a search. I would also be sure that they have their CD/T vaccination for protection against tetanus. If done right, the horns should come off within 6-8 weeks.

5. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    Sorry to hijack your thread, Im wondering if the horns will grow back? (for example Scurs)Whats the oldest age to band at?

6. rocky_ridge_goats

Aug 6, 2010
    Can you just saw them off? I have seen what has happened to sheep when the horns are dug out, it's pretty disgusting, and you have to clean it out. What exactly do you mean by banding the horns? (Cricket is half a buck, he's only got a jewel, and it gets surgically removed. Bill is a wether, most definitely)

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I personally would not attempt to saw the horns off of any animal, not only would it cause severe pain possibly leading to shock, it would also cause massive bleeding because of the blood supply to the horns.
    Banding works the same as castrating with a band, placed at the base of the horn below the hairline, it cuts off circulation allowing the live tissue inside the horn to die, causing them to drop off. Uncomfortable? Yes, Risky? The same risk as if castrating as far as complications from infection. Blood loss is minimal and if done right, they don't grow back. The entire horn needs to be removed by the band, if there is a "stump" left, it will grow.

8. rocky_ridge_goats

Aug 6, 2010
    Thanks for the info, liz. I know I will have to take them off for Cricket, but I think I'll leave them on Bill. Bill is way, way, way, super-duper non-agressive to people, although he (Bill) wouldn't be a good show goat.