How long after banding?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Michaela Van Mecl, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Michaela Van Mecl

Michaela Van Mecl Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    I banded quite a long time ago - over two months - and my wether still has yet to lose his sack. For those of you that are familiar with my posts, hes the little guy that is a bit disabled so he is not as active as a traditional goat, but still gets around and grazes and moves with the herd.

I'm assuming this isn't quite normal; I checked the area out and the band is still there (1 band), and the sack is hard as a rock , with no obvious signs of anything funky going on aside from the fact that they haven't dropped yet. I went ahead and sprayed the attachment area with some chlorohexidine just to make sure it stays infection free.

Thoughts?

MadHouse likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Is it detaching at all?

MadHouse likes this.

3. Michaela Van Mecl

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Honestly, maybe just the slightest bit but not really. It seems pretty attached.

MadHouse likes this.
  4. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Have you tried lifting the sac from side to side and front to back? Often they detach from just one side so it appears that it's not detaching at all if you only look from the back. If it is detaching from front to back, pull the sac slightly backwards and spray the area underneath because it's probably a little goopy. If it's not detaching anywhere then I wonder if your band was old and not quite elastic enough to finish the job.

MadHouse likes this.
  5. Michaela Van Mecl

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    No I haven't because I've seen a few people on here that have manipulated it and caused some issues. There is one little area that looks like it may be starting to slowly detach from, but I'm super hesitant to move it around. He really isn't a fan of me messing with it at all, which I experienced when spraying the chlorhexidine on. But, he's healthy otherwise and no fever or lethargy aside from his physical disability so I'm not worried about it causing an acute issue at the moment.

MadHouse likes this.
  6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Was the band used really old?

MadHouse likes this.
  7. Michaela Van Mecl

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    No, it was a new pack

MadHouse likes this.
  8. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Pulling at the sac could cause issues, but lifting it gently side to side won't cause a problem. However, goats don't like it when you do this so be careful--you don't want to get kicked in the face! I'm going to guess it's detaching somewhere along the front or side but it's impossible to see without moving the sac. You should be able to get a good look if you get someone to help you hold a hind foot up for you.

MadHouse and toth boer goats like this.
  9. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Store bands in the fridge in the original bag. They don't dry out if sealed and don't lose the elasticity.
    (just an fyi)