The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goat got down with worms and was barely able to walk yesterday was the 3 rd day that I gave him a shot for the scours he has been pooping the pellets again since I have him the first shot and the wormer medicine he is up walking more but still falls some and weak the vet said it was a 50/50 chance of him making it but I Diddnt think to ask how soon he should be back to himself I feel like he's pulling thru but still weak

·
Super Moderator
59,968 Posts
What are you treating for? Do you know what worms he has/had?

If you are treating for Meningeal Worm, it can take months for him to recover. If you are treating for stomach worms, it would depend on how bad the infestation was. That could even take weeks if it was a really bad case.

·
Administrator
85,812 Posts
My goat got down with worms and was barely able to walk yesterday was the 3 rd day that I gave him a shot for the scours he has been pooping the pellets again since I have him the first shot and the wormer medicine he is up walking more but still falls some and weak the vet said it was a 50/50 chance of him making it but I Diddnt think to ask how soon he should be back to himself I feel like he's pulling thru but still weak
We need to know what the vet fecal test results were to verify worms.
what was he been given and how much?
How is his lower eye membrane color, light pink, dark pink. or white? If he is anemic he will need an iron supplement, right away. That alone can kill him and make him weak.

I have never heard of giving a shot for scours itself, what exactly do you mean?

It all depends on his issues and how well he will bounce back.
Some are back to normal quickly, while others need more attention and time, depending on severity.

Was he tested for cocci at the same time?

I would also ask the vet of possible polio. I can't see the goat so cannot judge his condition. Weakness can indicate Polio/ Listeria as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts