How long between birthings

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by lifeonluber, May 11, 2018.

1. lifeonluber

lifeonluber Member

Feb 21, 2018
    When I left Lilly an hour ago, there was a thick, whitish color membrane coming out, then it went from white to bloody looking. I called the vet, he said that there is probably another kid to come. I just checked on her, she is laying down with her head resting on her side. The 2 kids are curled up sleeping. Any suggestions on what I should do?

2. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Did she stand and nurse and clean the two kids?

To me, based on what you describe, she is all done. Usually when I see the whitish membran that is the start of the placenta/afterbirth.

Many does will not stand still for newborn kids to nurse until all are delivered.

3. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    NC
    Has she passed the placenta?

4. lifeonluber

lifeonluber Member

Feb 21, 2018
    She lets them nurse a little, then will paw the ground and lay down again. This is my first birthing, I am by myself until 1:30 and on the very nervous side. Lilly is what I call my therapy goat. When I'm having a bad day I can sit down next to her, she lays her head on my shoulder and hugs me back. I lost my older brother last march when an 18 wheeler ran over him and my Daddy to pancreatic cancer in February. She helps with my depression. I don't want to lose her.

5. lifeonluber

lifeonluber Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Is that what the whitish color membrane was and then turned bloody color? Yes, I am that new to birthing. I have been a nervous wreck all morning

6. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    It sounds to me like she is just fine - when the kids nurse, it stimulates contractions for her to pass the placenta. Since it is taking some time, she is likely selenium deficieny. Do you use an sort of selenium supplement?

7. lifeonluber

lifeonluber Member

Feb 21, 2018
    No, but we will get some tomorrow. Is her belly still supposed to be big? I thank you so much for helping me through this. Every one I've chatted with has been so good and kind. I appreciate you all

Miller'sLostGoat likes this.
  8. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Likely she's all done, but I like to make sure by bouncing the belly. Reach your arms around her and bounce her belly upwards. If there are no more kids, she'll feel like a big, squishy water balloon. If there's another kid inside it will feel like there's a brick sitting in the bottom of her belly.

Some does drink a TON of water during or immediately following labor and it makes them look like they're still pregnant. I had a doe give birth on Monday who drank almost five gallons of water in less than an hour! I think she looked bigger AFTER giving birth! (She slimmed down over the next day or so, but she peed a LOT.)

groovyoldlady likes this.
  9. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Offer her some warm water. Congratulations on your new babies and
    So sorry for the loss of your dad and brother. Life sure can be awful, sometimes.

SalteyLove likes this.
  10. lifeonluber

lifeonluber Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Thank you. Life is raw sometimes .

11. lifeonluber

lifeonluber Member

Feb 21, 2018
    I will do that. She's eating and drinking but the babies aren't nursing much. Her udder is so low to the ground , it's hard for them to get to the teat. Have a bag of kid colostrum just in case.

12. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Milk her out a ways ( and syringe or bottle the colostrum to the kids) to get the udder higher for them. And/or tie her and put her hind on a step/patio block something higher and then help the kids latch. Also, teach them to kneel on the front legs to get under the udder. I would not resort to colostrum replacer unless she is not producing enough.

Poor udder attachment is certainly genetic so consider that when you decide on breeding the kids or not in the future.

lifeonluber likes this.
  13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    All very good advice.

Congrats. :)

From the 1st to the last, kids should take 30 minutes or less, no more, so you know. ;)

lifeonluber likes this.
  14. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    How are your doe & her kids?

15. lifeonluber

lifeonluber Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Because Lilly's teats were so low to the ground, the babies couldn't nurse. We tried everything we could think of. Trying to get them to kneel, bottles, moving Lilly around. They were beginning to get weak so we made the best decision for them. .I found a young lady from the humane society whose sister has sheep. She has all the equipment and what to do. She was ready to tube them Saturday night and finally one took the bottle. Monday she called asking if I would consider letting Lilly go. I said yes. All babies need their mother. It broke my heart to watch her walk the fence calling for them. The lady said Lilly was over the moon to see the babies. After a couple hours they both were nursing. She sends me pictures of them. She told me today she had never considered Lamanchas before but Lilly and her wonderful disposition had changed her mind. They all look happy, healthy and the babies curious about every in today's pictures. In my heart I know we did the right thing.

SalteyLove likes this.
  16. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Sounds like a wonderful home and decision. Great work

17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California