The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...we had a major outbreak of coccidia here. There are some very weak goats the caretaker brought over to a far pasture my house is on and he left them too long with out wormer and not enough healthy grass to eat. 13 of them got coccidia. 1 was dead and one almost dead and died that night. I started treatment for him because he is not around enough :mad: ..but some of them on thier 5th dose today and still have watery diarrhea. I know the dose for dymethox is 5-7 days..but what if it doesn't go away..usually on the babies it starts working by the 3rd dose..the diarrhea is all dried up.

Also one of mine got it while I was sick a couple of weeks ago (a very tiny inbred baby I rescued)..I gave it to her one day..then forgot the next..I was sick in bed with fever..then I gave it to her the next day and the next and she was still bad so gave her a double dose again of a newly mixed batch because I was using the bottle that was mixed a couple of months ago by a vet for the caretaker and he said it was good for a year (I mix mine in small amounts usually and throw out when done with that treatment) and I thought maybe it lost it's potency. She seemed to respond after that. I gave it to her total of 7 days. That first dose was 16 days ago and she has it again :\ I just started her on it again..I was told the cycle of coccidia is 14 -21 days..but it's actually only been a week since she was off the medicine. was it okay to start her on it again?

All the goats have to be on my side now because the other side does not have enough food growing for them so I'm freaking out I'm gonna have the other half get it of his that were over here plus my 10 rescue goats. :GAAH:

thanks...jamee

·
Super Moderator
58,102 Posts
If there is any way of getting a fecal done, I would do that. You should be seeing improvement. Were you giving it at 1cc per 5 lbs the first day and 1cc per 10 lbs days 2-5?

·
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No..can't do fecal...too many goats and not even mine. Caretaker brought them to property I rent my house on and they are mixed with my small rescue herd. He's not come when I called to deal with this. I know that he did not worm them for a very long time and he finally got them a salt lick last weekend with wormer in it..but I am sure it was too little too late. So it could be worms....he was complaining a couple of months ago to me that thier poop was getting soft and that I need to stop feeding them so much. I don't feed them so much..I can't afford to feed his 30 goats! I give mine a little alfalfa hay every day unless I go clipping greens for them and a little grain every other day or so..and when his goats are around they end up eating it too..and I try to share when his goats have babies to help them. Other then that they all live on pasture grass. I told him the soft poop is worms..he doesn't worm them enough..(he's done them all one time in a year and maybe sporadically others a few times.) My goats don't all have soft poop from worms..I worm them every 1-2 months as needed. If I notice softer poop I'm right on it..but his he ignored.

I wormed some of them for him last night....but honestly I have been so busy and having a hard time dealing with all of his goaties...that I can't remember who I wormed. I forgot to write it down and was going to finish up the next day. I'm super brain dead right now. I have a really weak one of his in my small backyard enclosure and I cna't remember if I brought wormer to her last night. I'm tempted to just do it anyways in case I missed her. She still had diarrhea this morning. Pepto only helps it hard up as much as pudding.

Hopefully he will be here this week to clean up the stalls full of diarrhea and one dead goat and he will be taking his sick goats out of here. He promises often but doesn't always show up and leaves me picking up the pieces. :( He doesn't expect me to..and if the goats died he woudl not be upset with me..but I can't handle watching it..and I don't want 13 dead goat bodies all over the property where the other goats are grazing :(

·
Super Moderator
58,102 Posts
You are definitely in a bad situation. Hopefully he will get his goats off the property. I would go ahead and worm the one that you are caring for now.

·
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay..thanks Karen..I will worm her.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts