How long did it take you guys to build your herds?

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by Sonrise Farm, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    How long did it take yu guys to build your herds to the point where you are completely satisfied with what you have now?
    And did you make your money back if you shipped in babies?
    Any nip and tuck tips I can use?
    I am planning on shipping in 1300 dollars worth of babies (2 bucks, 1 girl) in 09 . . . starland nigerians will just happen to pop out the money to send me to college . . .

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I built mine then change my mind and started over again. NOw I have what I want :D

It took me a year and a couple months.

3. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I'm just now re-building my Nubian herd, started in the spring shipping in 4 babies, 3 does and a buck. Not sure when I'll get to where I'm satisfied. :) I plan on shipping in probably 2 more does next spring..and then I'll go from there I guess. I spent a lot of money on these goats...but I think in time I'll be able to make it back.

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I started with 4 goats 14 months ago. I went up to about 25 then down to 13 then up to 20 something and now I am at about 18 with possibly 4 more coming. And not one is from the original herd. I am right where I want to be for now. All different lines - all different colors- differnt breeds - so I have a great mix going on.

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I went from one to 15 in about 2 years, i'm cutting back to 9 -after those stinkin wethers are gone- then i will hopefully ship in a buck and doe. I want to keep around 20 :) if possible, but mostly Fullbloods and PBs, which I'm building up to (the highest percentage doe is 88%, her kids will be PB)

6. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    I started out with 5 and then sold them to buy fullblooded boers-then sold them to buy registered boers. I have had up to about 60, but we are down to about 40 now and have what we want to keep for show and breedstock- if things don't change though- We might have to sell about half of our herd. It took us about 5 years to get what we wanted.

7. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Well.... I did Boers for a about 5 months and decided they weren't for me.... I started in the Minis at the beginning of July 2007 and had just purchased my last Does to complete my herd this July... so I guess about a year (even though I have been in goats since January 2007). I have had up to 40 head of the Minis at one time... but now I am having to temporarily sell out, and I am thinking about going in a different direction when I rebuild my herd in the Spring. And only plan on having less than 20 head.

8. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I don't think I will ever be to the point where I am "done" I will always be selling and retaining and occasionally buying new goats. I feel comfortable with where I am at right now, And I hope to get my goats appraised next year, this coming show season will tell me whether I am satisfied or not :ROFL: I am also hoping to go on milk test at some point.

9. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i agree with chelsey , i'm not done with building my herd and i wont ever be.. i think a good breeder should constantly be improving the breed they have, i mean you can be pleased with what you have, but you can never have a perfect goat

10. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I agree entirely with Chelsey and SDK (Sarah, right?) We'll never be completely satisfied as there is always room for improvement but I am content with what we have now. I do want to improve udders though! :)

We started with 2 does July 2007 (one more, Honey, that was reserved in May but didn't come home until September). Now we are at 14 does (3 months to 5 years old) and a yearling buck.

11. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Hey,

Our herd built up fast, we had 72 goats now we have 49 goats though as of Saturday afternoon.

12. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i started out many years ago with nubians and lamanchas. and then in 99 an alpine doe was given to me, i fell in love with the breed. she was an alright doe. did well in local 4-h shows, but i wanted better. I got lark in 2000, and it went from there. I have four does contributing to what i call my foundation herd. All of my current herd can trace back to one of these four. (one of those does only ever had bucks, but her kids are grandsires of many i have now) But like others have said i am satidfied but there is always room for improvement. I get a new buck about every year, always hope to improve on one thing or another. Every year three to five milkers get sold so i can keep three to five kids.
    beth

13. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    I agree with most... never be done building, always bringing in new lines for improvement as needed. But it is going on 7 years for me now since I got my first Nigerian, and my herd is bigger than it has ever been. I probably should downsize, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. :shrug:

14. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    I was just wondering because I'm in the process of getting my first two niggies . . . :shrug:

15. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Oh how exciting you are going to love them! But bewarned, they are very addictive. :shades:
    I started with just 2 for "pets" and now look at me with 25+ Nigerians later. :roll:

16. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I enjoy the challenge of making a nice herd, both in the show ring and milk pail. I don't think any good herd ever stops trying to improve. :thumb:

17. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Perfectly said Chelsey! :hi5:

18. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    That is very well said Chelsey!! :D I am so excited for next year bringing in new bloodlines!! :clap:

19. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I grew up with daries and love them but I just don't have time to milk right now.I got pygmies 3 three years ago and while they are great pets they just weren't quite what I had in mind. Now I have 6 boers and while I know they can still be improved a lot and I will never be done I like the place I am now where I know what I want and how to get it. (Well sorta)

20. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Yep, you'll enjoy the Nigerians for sure! We have had Nigerians then we gradually made the transition to Mini-Nubians!