The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new on this website. I purchased a couple of goats about 4 years ago that I had intended to use for packing but so far have just been good pets. I was just curious how old a goat usually lives to, and how old you can continue using them as a pack goat. I have a couple saddles and panniers on order but am having a hard time getting them. I hope these goats are not too old to train how to pack. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks! Ross

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have heard up to 15. Depending on who you ask, goats shouldn't start packing until they are 4 to allow full growth etc. before putting weight on their backs. I know we are waiting until ours are 4, so you are right on track. I would spend a whole bunch of time here and on the yahoo group and read some of the books out there before you put a saddle on a goat.

Good Luck,

Gregg

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
They live a lot longer than they used to. 9 was old back in the "90
's when I started. Paying good attention to diet and worming makes them last a lot longer. There's quite a few working goats over the age of 10 that are still working. My first set of goats, the oldest was 13 when he died. He worked till he was 11.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts