The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2 month old nubian alpine doeling. She is eating grain and hay. Should I be taking her off the bottle? I have been giving her 4 - 10 oz bottles a day. Any help is appreciated!

·
I'm watching you
22,532 Posts
I don't wean mine until 16 weeks at the earliest. It's really a personal choice.

·
Registered
279 Posts
If you want to wean her later, you can certainly give her less bottles now.

·
Goat Mom
829 Posts
I try to mimic mom and I go for 6 months, I also try to grow out my wethers on as little grain as possible to prevent uc, so right now I have a 3 month old pygerian who gets 1 1/2 cups of goats milk 2x per day, free choice grass hay, about 1 1/2 cups of timothy/ alfalfa hay pellet mixture and free choice fresh cedar as well as tons of free browse time.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I usually go to 4 months, I just kinda go off the kid its self and how she is growing and how she is taking to eating big goat feed. It sounds like yours are about the same as my 2 month old, she is eating very well, growing like crazy, I still give bottles but right now we are down to 2 I think its 16oz a day, Ill have to check, I use a plastic mustard jar thing from walmart lol. But I think you could get away with dropping a bottle :)

·
2,203 Posts
Everybody gets drinking out of pails on their 2month date mark. I wean at 3 months on the dot. Will keep smaller kids on milk longer, and pull larger more independent kids earlier. Depends on the kid and the maturity level.

·
Care giver of 4 milkers, one doeling, and One beau
915 Posts
I wean mine from eight to 12 weeks.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
The reason behind why I go so long on bottles is because it seem to take them longer to really figure out how to eat normal feed. They don't have a mother to show them these things. Basically what I do is as they are older slowly drop a bottle. By about 3 months they are only getting a night time bottle and basically for the fact that i have this thing about my animals going to bed with a full tummy.

·
915 Posts
really? Mine were eating by 6 weeks old.

·
Registered
320 Posts
As someone else said. It's a personal preference.
I wean between 6-12 weeks, sometimes longer. I have found my kids tend to grow better on grain than milk. Sometimes I'll keep kids on bottles for longer due to size, health, how they're eating, etc.
Ex] A small doe who had problems with coccideia and won't touch her grain will stay on a bottle longer than a big buckling who has been growing like a weed and eats enough for three goats.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
really? Mine were eating by 6 weeks old.
Not mine!!! At that age they are still laying by the back door waiting for their bottle lol. Last year I did have 2 that seemed to learn younger but I think it was because my lamancha kinda took them under her wing, and I did try something different with these 2 I have now, I have them penned with the weanling kids and at 8 weeks old seem to be eating ok.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone.. My little girl is now eating grain, a small handful 2-3 x day, free choice hay which she eats conservatively, and 2 bottles, one in the a.m. and one before bed. I like making sure they go to bed with a full belly too :) . I did see her drinking water out of the bucket today as well so I think I will bring her down to smaller a.m. and p.m. bottles gradually for another couple of weeks then go to just the p.m. and then to "0". You have all been very helpful, God Bless!!

·
915 Posts
Not mine!!! At that age they are still laying by the back door waiting for their bottle lol. Last year I did have 2 that seemed to learn younger but I think it was because my lamancha kinda took them under her wing, and I did try something different with these 2 I have now, I have them penned with the weanling kids and at 8 weeks old seem to be eating ok.
I also think a lot of it was that we had a goat that absolutely adored them even though they weren't her babies. They were taking handfuls of grain around them but they didn't start drinking until about 8-9 weeks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts