How long do I need to keep the newbie warm?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by DLJ Goats, Feb 15, 2011.

1. DLJ Goats

DLJ Goats New Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Conyers, Ga
    Well we had a very good birth yesterday morning. It was her first kid and she took care of the new girl like a champ, very proud of her.
    I'm in middle GA and its going to be in the 60's all week but lows reaching the upper 30's as well. I'm not sure how long I should help to keep the kid warm. They have a tight shelter with 4' to 6' roof. Im one not to interfere with mother nature. But how long do I need to make sure the kid stays warm? Time frame or temp. range or what?
    O yes and of course her name is Valentine!

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If the kid is healthy, she will acclimate her body temp to keep herself warm within the first 24-36 hours.
    I had twins born last Thursday in 10* temp, I got them dried well, nursing and put sweaters on them for the night..went down to 6*, sweaters were off the next afternoon as they bounced and played, temps were decent enough to leave them without the sweaters the last few days and last nites temp was down to 17* and they are up and bouncing this morning.

With your doe, I would keep her separate from the herd for at least a week so that she has a stronger bond with her baby.As long as they have shelter, baby will be fine.

Congrats on the Valentines Day delivery!

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    bonding is very important... :greengrin:

For me... every kid... has 3 nights with the heat lamp...when the weather is cold... unless ..they are weak.... then I wait til they are strong enough.... :wink: