The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wondering what is the longest time you should keep fresh milk? I have been tossing it when it's a week old but it does not smell bad... I haven't tasted it tho.

I wanted to try to make butter with the cream.... so would need to save it up for that project.

371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just know that it doesn't smell bad at a week or so.. but I don't have a lot of storage room or jars, so the chickens and ducks get what they want of it and the rest goes in the garden. I have only been keeping it about a week. I am the only one drinking/using it, and I don't cook that often so it's just going to waste and I HATE waste!!!

To make butter you only use the cream off the top after it's been sitting in the fridge a few days??? I haven't even had time to do much research on it yet!

· Goatless goat momma
7,838 Posts
i dont' get much milk, so i scoop it out to another jar, and put it into the freezer. i keep accumulating until i have enough to make butter with.

sounds like you need to start making soap to get rid of some extra milk!

1,147 Posts
I have drank milk that has sat in my fridge for over 2 weeks.
Still tasted as good as the day I milked it. :)

· Registered
363 Posts
Use the milk in the garden? doesn't that spoil and attract flies? How to you "add" it? just poor it on the soil at the base of a plant or all over the plant or? This is a new one on me. Was always taught you don't put dairy stuff into compost or gardening.....:ponder:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.