How long does it take to get a goat looking good?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Dreamchaser, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I recently got 3 new alpine goats. They all were pretty emaciated (sp?) when I got them. I have wormed them, and have been feeding 2-3 times a day, and they are on pasture.

How long will it take for them to be looking good, and not sucken in where you can see their backbone between the ribs and hips? 2 of the 3 have their whole backbone and hips protruding. The other one still looks a little hollow in the flank (?) area.

2. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    I had one goat that was very thin when I got her in the end of Feb. She now looks awesome (maybe a little over conditioned). I also added fasttrack to her feed and noticed a real difference in hers (and everyones) coat

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    dont over feed them at this point -- I would just feed twice a day a normal amount. Over feeding can cause more harm then good for them since their bodies are not use to all that feed/proteins and nutrients. Its a slow and steady kind of thing.

Usually takes a couple months to see full results.

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Something, besides wormings, that I would suggest is a BoSe injection, vit B injection, and copper bolus - I am not sure if you saw my "Hazel-then and now" thread - but I gave her vit b, wormed with ivo plus, and vaccines the day after I got her, and then the next weekend I gave a BoSe, then 3 weeks post pick up - used cydectin and boostered. Still need to give her copper.