HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by countrylover, Oct 22, 2010.

1. countrylover

countrylover New Member

Oct 1, 2010
    ok i posted about my lamache fighting my new goat.how long will this keep going on how long before she is use to the new one and will stop. i was told sometimes the new goat can get injured so bad the can die i would hate for this to happen.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Depends on how many are in the herd...If it's just the 2 of them it could take a minimum of 2 weeks for them yo adjust to each other, they need to see who's going to end up being "top goat"

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    They are going to argue until one is determined the dominant goat. Most new goats introduced in our herd take about a week to adjust. We have a huge pen though so they have lots of room to seperate.

If you have a pen where they have enough room to stay away from each other then they should stop pretty soon. I have around 65 goats and have never had one seriously injured due to dominance fighting when new goats come into the herd. I wouldn't worry to much as long as one of the goats doesn't become a bully and try and fight constantly and you have enough room for them to spread out.

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    mine usually stop within the week with a newbie, though then of course i have a doe whose been here years and picks on every goat that isn't related to her. :p

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    1-2 weeks is the norm

6. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    My goats are still fighting after about 2 weeks, it's not constant though, personally, I think it's hormones, lol. Got a lot of dairy, and this is their time.

I got 2 that like to "fight" I see it every once in a while, they don't constantly do it, it's just when their in the mood, I honestly think one is the rare type, I can't remember the name, but it's where the female acts buckish, and fights with the does a lot, but can't be bred? She mounts the does, but wont let the bucks mount her, what do you guys think?

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    everyone has great advice.... :thumb: :greengrin: