How long for recovery?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by liz, Dec 29, 2009.

1. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    With my previous post no longer an "emergency" I am still needing some input here.

I'm driving my hubby up a tre with my anxiety over Penny, vet said Listeria or "acute mold toxicosis" and well, with treatment she will be getting better....but it's not soon enough for me. I have to fight/stress her to give her injections which I guess is a good sign because all Saturday and Sunday she let me do it, Monday morning was the first she fought me and has continued to do so.
    It is really cold and windy here so the door is shut to the outside, she is munching down the hay as well as some alfalfa pellets, she's still got a bit of uneasiness on her feet...not stumbling but will slightly go off balance. She's now getting up on her hind legs when she wants something.

Maybe I am not seeing all the good but am looking at the "bad" or looking for more of the bad? IDK

She enjoyed some warm oatmeal this morning as did everyone else, had her pen and B shots and proceeded to attack the hay. Shes pooping normal and peeing/drinking when I'm not around because I find little piles in puddles on the floor.

The symptoms she had when I knew something was wrong:
    Saturday at 4 was the first I saw her and the others and I FEEL SO ROTTEN AT THE LATENESS. I had fed later on Christmas Day night and slept in on Saturday and went up to milk Bootsie and feed at 4pm...normally it's 2pm. She wanted her grain, she got 3/4 cup, I milked Bootsie and realized that Penny wasn't standing against the stall door waiting to be let out, got Boots back with the others, let Penny out and she literally was staggering, eyes were dancing and darting so I immediately brought her in the house and dosed her with activated Charcoal gel, she went back out with the herd, it was nice so the girls went to browse Penny was staggering around, never fell and proceeded to go with the others, I called Stacey and she had said the same as I was thinking, polio and to start her on Pen too. Had my friend Steph on the phone and she brought me the B complex and Pen because dummy me had an expired bottle. Penny never once circled or fell, never had an issue rising when laying down, her left ear was droopy and her eyes still dancing. By 8 pm she'd had 12cc B complex as well as 2 cc penicillan. By 10pm her eyes were still and she had another 8cc b complex. Still eating and drinking, the staggering was less. Sunday morning she had 2 cc pen and 8cc b comp. eating and being normal except for the wobbliness. Sunday at 2 she got more B complex and 2cc pen at 5 pm. Still improving, no worse. Monday at 4 30 am she got pen and B comp had some warm koolaid and some alfalfa pellets, a tablespoon of grain and I called the vet from work, he was here by 2 pm which I was able to leave work early, She was just about normal, wouldn't stay in one spot for the vet. Last night she got her pen and b as vet said to continue til Saturday. This is Tuesday and though she's not worse or even doing the things that led me to know something was wrong, she's still a bit wobbly and I am so scared because she really struggles when I try to give her the pen, I know she needs it and I do get it into her , she goes back to eating when I let her go so I know it doesn't upset her too much. I am rambling I know, but even my hubby is getting mad at me because I keep waiting for the really bad to happen.
    Hubby tells me "it is what it is, you are doing your best and it's up to her now. she's come this far, it's now been 67 hours since I noticed this all started, I've read that the first 72 hours are the critical time for treatment....can I truly believe that the worst is over?

Please believe that I'm not a nut and that I just really care and love my goats, after the loss I had back in June...at my own hand, I don't think I can deal with another.

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I totally understand the worrying Liz, I'm the say way. :hug:

I think you can just go to giving her oral b-complex now so you don't need to give her anymore shots of that. It may take her some time to recover from the stumbling. Think of her as a stroke patient, she needs to regain the control and mobility after the damaged her nerves and/or muscles have been through.

I would say you are most likely over the worst of it and now she just needs to recover. :hug:

3. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Liz, I know exactly how you feel -- esp after losing one the way you did. I had a dog go into anaphylactic shock once after a pen injection. Fortunately, we were at the vet and were able to revive him. Ever since then, I am paranoid every time I have to give a shot or treat any of the animals...

I posted quite a while ago about my buck that had polio a year ago -- search and see if you can find the thread. But I treated him for at least ten days with the B 2x day; and as I recall, it took quite a while before he was fully recovered. I'd have to look at my vet notes, but I kept on top of him for over a month watching for any relapse.

But it sounds like you're out of the woods with her, so r-e-l-a-x a little if youcan!

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thank you for your understanding :hug:

Thank you Ashley for telling me I can now give the B shot without the needle! She LOVES probiotic paste and I am really wishing I could get the B Comp into that so she'll take it easily, I knew the B would make her urine orange but WOW...she went outside to look around a few minutes ago and peed in the snow, it really showed up then! Normal, right? I hope it means that she is absorbing it and it's not going straight through her :?

She's so eager for food, I've been giving her very minimal grain but more alfalfa pellets which she readily eats too. Theres no obvious problem now nuerologically, still a bit wobbly but doing well.

Oh, and the brat thinks it's smart to be out of the camera's reach, I possition it to where I know she likes to be and the brat moves to a different area :?

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yes, it's very normal. So don't worry about the urine color. You are giving a lot of other b vitamins as well which she most likely doesn't need, so those are the ones she is peeing out. You can also go to your local drug store and see if they have plain thiamine pills. Then you could just crush one up and add it to the probios paste or in her food.

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I crushed 1 thiamine pill which was 50mg and dabbed the end of the probiotic paste tube in it and she grabbed it. Had her warm oatmeal and a bit of alfalfa pellets with the other girls! Had no problem pushing her way into the circle to reach the pan, she then proceeded out into the yard to sqaut in front of the boys fence and then started wagging her tail.....she's in heat! Though it's been 30 days since the last heat, do you think her being sick had anything to do with the length of her cycle?

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    some heat cycles are longer in some goats.

but yah I know it can "hold off" till the body is feeling better but since everything is just right for heat they go right into heat as soon as everything is back to normal (if it can in humans I cant see why not in goats :p )

8. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Sounds like the "little princess" is on her way back! :clap:

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have decided that I will be seeing her now as on a good road with recovery the way she has been steadily improving, it's to be a high of 34* tomorrow so not as cold as the last couple days....I hope to see her out and about, though I do know that she'll be glued to the boys fence! Yes, "Princess Penelope" will continue to be a very spoiled girl as long as she wants.....but why oh why does she insist on being out of the cameras reach? Silly girl knows that I worry about her.

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Those goats are something else ....we do get attached....I pray... she continues to improve.... :pray: :hug:

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    OMG! It is 12*F and the brat wants out of the warm shed to freeze her hooves off standing in the snow flagging for the boys!

She's in the shed at this moment with hay, warm water and had her probiotic thiamine mess, and screaming. Shes still uneasy on her feet as she's still stumbling when she gets to moving too fast, which she was earlier.... with it this cold, my fear is that she'll catch chill from the wet snow and have a set back.

12. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Sounds like she is doing fine. Crazy girl that she is! LOL :hug: :slapfloor:

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    She wants to run and jump but still seems disoriented, she went down on her side once, back up and eating hay with her butt to the boys and letting out little yells to them. When she starts to jump, she comes down and is like stock still like she's disoriented :?

14. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hmm thats interesting Liz, can you call the vet to see if this would be normal behavior or if you should change treatment or up the treatment?

15. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    You said your giving 2cc of pen G once a day? You should probably be giving 3-4cc of Pen G twice a day is this is not the long acting pen G. Since the vet thinks this is listerosis(sp) you want to be giving enough pen G for it to cross the blood brain barrier.

My other question is have you wormed her with ivermectin lately?

16. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Talked at length with Dr. Jenkins just a few minutes ago, I had asked about the disorientation and he had told me that because the brain stem is where balance comes from, she's having a vertigo type symptom because of the inflammation.

He also answered my questions about meningial worm, there are deer around BUT they do not enter my goats area and the goats do not venture where the deer go, also the fact that she's never had any issues with paralysis....has been up on her feet at all times.

He has had experience with meningial worm, in this area it is more common with alpacas and llamas and he is confident that this is not the problem with Penny.

Also told me to keep her up with her hay and alfalfa pellets, very minimal grain at this point and that it could take a couple weeks before the vertigo like symptoms are gone. He is confident that she will recover as her reflexes are good too...she gets out of the way PDQ when the bigger goats come out of the shed...and she was up on her hind legs challenging Heidi. The pen she is getting 1x a day is good....he normally would prescribe 3cc per 100# of goat and she's getting 2-3 at 35#

17. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    The worm thing was just a thought I had. :shrug:

I'd still be giving more pen G but that's just me. I've always been told to give it twice a day by vets and in vet books I've read. :shrug: Not to say you should.

18. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I did ask him if I should give it twice a day and he had said he didn't feel the need to because of the improvement she's already had...but for me to give it for 8 days as opposed to the normal 5 days.

She's certainly enjoying the warm oatmeal with her thiamine too.

19. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    lol I bet she's enjoying the oatmeal. I made my bucks some oatmeal with a little whiskey in it today and they went crazy over it. :drool:

20. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Whiskey?? Hmmm...I have some Rum and some Blackberry Brandy, though I don't think I want to share...a nip or 2 might just help me RELAX!