How long is a buck fertile after banding?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by all1965, Mar 3, 2011.

1. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    How long after banding can you put a buckling in with does?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Not sure exactly but I would presume 2 days would be safe if not before

3. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

I don't know how long he is still fertile. Dogs I think are fertile for six weeks or so?
    I read somewhere that ten weeks after a severe illness, a buck will go through a period of infertility that lasts the same length of time as the illness. So it makes sense that they would be fertile for about ten weeks after banding.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    im curious how you get 10 weeks when the sack comes out in 3-4 weeks?

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  5. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

My friend buck was banded at a year, and she thought after a week she would let him with the girls, he actually got a few pregnant when he was put back in....

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how old was the buck do you know Laura?

Im not expert on this I just band my bucklings at 7-8 weeks on average so I dont usually have to wonder and never had anyone come up pregnant.

7. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

The buck was over a year old. She doesnt have anyother bucks around either, and her does were in heat.

I honestly dont think she did it right though, I told her to wait and see and she didnt listen...

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It says... that bull calf semen ...can live in the upper parts of the reproductive tract for up to 21 days.... I can't seem to find anything on Bucks though....

9. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

:shrug: That was just a guess.
    This was my logic: During a severe illness, the buck can't make sperm. If it takes 10 weeks for that to manifest itself, then I conclude the sperm stays in the body for 10 weeks. BUT...how long he is still fertile after banding depends on where in the body the sperm is at the time of banding, and how long it takes to travel, etc., etc. 10 weeks would be the maximum.
    I've never banded, just had the vet castrate once. We kept our wether separate from the does for a few weeks, but I can't remember how many.

10. Busy Bee

Busy Bee New Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    Hi everyone I was told by a lady that has been breeding goats since the late 60's that if it is a mature buck that is banded you should wait at least 2 weeks before putting them with any Doe's. Also with my own experience with my first wether I would think this would be about right. My first wether was surgically wethered, but started acting bucky to me and started peeing on me, so I banded him. I needed to sell him so my friend had a buyer that wanted to get him. So about a week after banding he was taken over to my friends home, my guy had to stay there for a few days before the new owner could get him. During his stay thier Doe got loose and was around him, after a couple months we find out she is pregnant. There were no other possible dads, and she gave birth to a little Doeling a few months later.
    I hope this helps a little.

11. ladyharley

ladyharley Senior Member

Sep 7, 2012
    New Mexico
    A doe can't get pregnant unless she is in heat...she won't let the buck mount.

12. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    This is a very old thread....

13. ladyharley

ladyharley Senior Member

Sep 7, 2012
    New Mexico
    soo? If it's very old it shouldn't be on here.

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Keep it friendly, keep it fun.

This is a friendly warning.
    Please don't reply to others in that manner, who are just trying to let you know, it is an old thread. That was not nice.

To your post, you are correct.
    "A doe can't get pregnant unless she is in heat...she won't let the buck mount."

CountyLineAcres and Jessica84 like this.
  15. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Old threads are always left out for anyone to look back on for info.