How long is a buck fertile after banding?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by all1965, Mar 3, 2011.

1. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    How long after banding can you put a buckling in with does?

2. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    How old is the buckling? If he is old enough to be fertile in the first place I don't know. But I am pretty sure someone else will know.

Jan

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I band at 7 weeks and believe me, even if the boys were feeling frisky before being banded, they certainly don't want to be scratching their belly buttons after banding....I think the band pulls just enough on their parts that they try to not do anything that agrivates it.

4. Dani-1995

Dani-1995 Active Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Greenville, NC
    I'm assuming they probably wouldn't mount because it would hurt. I mean, the band would probably hurt pretty bad so they probably won't do anything

I don't know how long it actually takes for them to be unable to reproduce... never really thought about it.

5. klingshirnm

klingshirnm New Member

Mar 3, 2011
    If the buckling was old enough to start breeding(I've heard as young as 3 months old), I would wait a couple months to put them together with a doe in the same pen. I know there is some discomfort, but that don't always stop a persistant goat. I have a neighbor that breeds horses, and she told me one time that a horse can still breed up to 3 months after castration. Yes, I know a horse is a horse, and a goat is a goat, but with horses its a surgical castration, so there still has t be something there to make the babies.