How long is too long?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by RowdyKidz, Aug 7, 2009.

  1. RowdyKidz

    RowdyKidz Senior Member

    Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I sent an email reply to a guy who wants to buy 2-3 goats from me. Told him what I had, gave a price, and a week later no reply. :scratch: Resent it on the 4th and still nothing. :scratch: I even told him that there are other people on my waitlist.

    How long should I wait? Should I resend it? Some advice please? :help:
     
  2. liz

    liz Active Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt....maybe something came up and he hasn't checked his email :shrug:

    If I don't hear back within 5 days, I move on.....others only wait 3 days.
     

  3. KW Farms

    KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

    Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I would move on...maybe he didn't like the price or something and decided just not to reply. I personally think if they don't check their email regularly then give me a phone number or something so I can contact them that way so I don't have to wait a few days for a reply while other potential buyers are waiting. That has happened to me many times, where they just don't get back to me at all. Even if something happened I rather just go onto the next person than wait for a yes or no answer. :shrug:
     
  4. StaceyRosado

    StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I get that -- they are just looking aroudn for the cheepest price or what is most easily available chances are he isnt interested. Jsut move on to the next person - hounding people for answers makes you sound like you are desperate for the sale and they will try to work you down on the price.
     
  5. KW Farms

    KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

    Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yep...agree with Stacey. I very rarely send two emails as it makes you sound somewhat desperate for the sale.
     
  6. RowdyKidz

    RowdyKidz Senior Member

    Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    OK, thanks guys. My email sometimes doesn't send messages and I won't know. :roll: Hence resending it. Gotta love the internet.

    Tomorrow I'll call the next person on the list. ;)

    Thanks for the advice everyone. I really appreciate it as I am still new at this. :hug: :)
     
  7. sparks879

    sparks879 New Member

    Yup, i only wait three days at the very most...if they are really truely interested they will find a way to check mail, especially if they know you have other interested parties. when they dont reply at all, then tend to not be interested.
    beth
     
  8. I am late but wanted to add that if we don't hear back and others are there, sold to the person who acts the fastest. Keep in mind I let them know I have a waiting list and it is first come first serve.
     
  9. ChestnutGrove

    ChestnutGrove New Member

    265
    Apr 29, 2009
    Tennessee
    I just spotted this thread.

    I hate it when people do that. I currenly have a buckling that someone said they wanted and now I have not heard from them in a couple days. If someone else comes along and wants him they can have him.

    What you may want to do is e-mail them saying that you have not heard back from them - are they still interested in the goats?
    If you have someone who wants to buy them I would also say - I have someone that wants to buy them - let me know if you still would like to buy them before I sell them to this person.

    This is very comman in selling anything - they find something cheaper and go and buy it but never get back to the other seller. Sounds like you gave theses people more than enough time - if you have a phone number you could call - there maybe a reason (like this year I have been having trouble with the computer so I have been on and off line which is a pain)
     
  10. MissMM

    MissMM New Member

    645
    Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    Unless this person put a deposit down on the goats, I wouldn't reserve them at all and would sell them to the first person that shows you the money. Even with a deposit, that should only hold the critter for 10 days & if the buyer doesn't bother to reply in that time, they go to the next one on the list.
     
  11. RowdyKidz

    RowdyKidz Senior Member

    Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Thanks everyone.

    I did as "Chesnut Grove" suggested, and told the guy and he emailed me back and said
    This is 3 does we are talking about (2 are grade but dad is reg and the other 1 is NPGA reg.) Together, I said $400 is lowest I can go, which it is. So I typed back, explaining all the time, money, etc that I put into my goats. And they are disbudded. Is the pice fair? Or should I lower it? :question:

    Thanks everyone. :)
     
  12. liz

    liz Active Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Nope...don't budge! That price is more than fair....coming down by $50 is not getting you anywhere, you explained once why you have set the price, no need to explain again. IF they still want them, tell him you'll take a deposit of half now and the balance within 2 weeks to ensure that they are his, if he's not agreeable to that then move on.
     
  13. KW Farms

    KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

    Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yep...agree with Liz. Don't lower the price...that is totally fair. If you give it some time i'm sure another buyer will pay that much.
     
  14. grandmajo

    grandmajo New Member

    352
    Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    Yep, I agree with the others as well. Also, re-read his email, he said that his max is "probably" $350. I read that to mean that it may be lower than that, and I get a gut feeling that if you agreed, then he may come back with, well we looked at finances and our max is only $300, etc.

    I've only sold a few goats, but I list my price as firm, and as cash only, no checks. I think it kind of helps to weed out the ones that want a good milking doe, but only want to pay $20.
     
  15. RowdyKidz

    RowdyKidz Senior Member

    Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I told him I'd only go to $400 on all 3, but he wants to come by and pick out a pair anyway! :clap: And I told him a cash deposit as well! So yay! It's working out after-all!

    Thank you all again for your advice! :thumbup: :D The Goat Spot is the best!
     
  16. StaceyRosado

    StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    see people try to haggle you down when they actually can pay.

    I had a lady wanting me to sell her a buckling for 75.00 I did end up giving her and her children a discount because of 4H but not that much of a discount!
     
  17. grandmajo

    grandmajo New Member

    352
    Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    Yah! That's great news.... :clap:

    So glad that it all worked out for you :hug: