How long shoud you tub feoed a baby goat

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by angle219, Mar 20, 2011.

1. angle219

angle219 New Member

Feb 23, 2011
    I need to know how long to tub feed a baby goat?

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I've never done it...or had a need to, but I would imagine that you should continue with tubing if the kid isn't sucking from it's mom or a bottle.
    Why are you tubing? Was the baby weak or didn't it have a suck reflex?

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Only tube when absolutely needed........is this a new born... what is happening ...that you have to tube feed ...if you don't mind us asking? :hug:

4. angle219

angle219 New Member

Feb 23, 2011
    It was very week and woud not take a bottle or the mothers milk and we are not sure if it is sick or just so week.

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Has baby gotten any stronger? If you stick your finger in her mouth, does it feel warm or cold and does she have the want to suck your finger? If her mouth feels cold, take her temp...rectal temp should be 101-103*F, If it's lower than 101, you need to get her warm before adding any more milk to her belly...How old is she?

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Liz...

did the kid get colostrum?

Give the kid a Bo-se shot....

You can try to use a syringe to feed the kid....milk some out of mom into a syringe......and feed to kid.... no needle of course ...feed it slowly at the back corner of the mouth ...put your index finger in the mouth like a teat...move it in and out and try to get the suck reflex... it helps to have someone tickle the tailhead area along the back....when the kid gets the suck reflex try the baby on mom.... Do all this... only if.. the kid has a minimum of 100 degree temp and higher..... good luck...

7. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    In my experience a weak kid is usually not warm enough, or needs some 'spunk' like a bit of BoSe or Selenium/E Gel, maybe NutriDrench, some ProBios and/or Colostrum gel or some other 'pick me up's'...

I agree that we need some more info...
    Date & time of birth, Breed, Mom's history, kidding situation (others born & how r they?), etc....

I've only helped tube feed a few times, never had to on my own kids, but when helping a few tiny little 1-2 lb Nigi babies we tubed every few hrs (in tiny amounts) for a day...maybe two at most... along with lots of warmth & 'pick me up's'... till baby had enough sucking reflex to take a bottle on their own. I've also never seen a tube feeding occur w/out getting some kind of fluid into the lungs...which is probably why it's SO avoided whenever possible.

8. angle219

angle219 New Member

Feb 23, 2011
    It is really week and it cant suck your finger but it is more alert today than yesterday we gave it a shot of pilicellne and it is 4 days old. How long should the tub feeding be done?

9. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Sounds like it definitely needs some pickme up... Bose, NutriDrench, etc...
    Can you add some more details about this baby... the others on the board always jump in with some great recipes for pickme up's.

I always put a dab of Selenium/E Gel & Probios Plus paste on the tongue of all the newborns born here... it really does help them A LOT. Plus the mom's all get their BoSe & Cd/T about 3-4 weeks before kidding too. Did this doe get any BoSe before kidding? Is she in good condition, not too thin? Was the birth difficult? Why the Penicillin... unless some liquid went down the lungs maybe? Keep giving updates and information and we'll do what we can for some advice for you...
    I've never known a baby to be tubed more than a few days....

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    What is the temp?
    Give a Bo-se shot.... vit E and nutradrench...

How much are you feeding at a time and is it...the babies momma's milk?
    It isn't good... to tube feed to long... as it can start to irritate the throat ect... try the syringe feeding.... and try to get that suck reflex... as I described above...

Has the baby... gone to the bathroom... poo or pee?

do you have whiskey or hard liquor?.... if so... mix equal parts karo, coffee and whiskey together and give... 2-3cc... it will give energy and warm the kid up....if it is cold....