How long to keep using the heat lamp

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Cinder, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    My Alpine doelings were born last Monday (four days ago) and are doing great. I've got a heat lamp in with them, they aren't using it during the day anymore so I turn it off but how long do I keep it on at night for them. Our night time temps are in the 20's (high 20's for the next few days). They are in an enclosed stall with lots of straw and momma.

2. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I would turn it off if I were you. If they are already coping fine during the day with it off, see how they do a night.

LW

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    first.. before you do... make sure they are good ... strong and healthy... :wink:

I usually have them with the heat lamp for 3 nights...unless they are weak...if so ...the lamp stays on until they are strong ... :wink:

4. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Yep! thats what I'd do too..

5. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    I'm too lazy to play musical light switches.... this $13 part is a godsend. Turns the lamp (s) on if it gets near freezing and off when it's above 45 degrees or so:

http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail. ... =heat+lamp

this time of year, it's very common for us to have 40 degree + changes in air temp from morning to evening. Rather than waiting for it to be really cold then turn the light on, using that Thermocube thingee allows the goats to stay at more of a constant temp. I think that's helped to keep them healthy w/all the weather changes.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :thumbup: :wink: :greengrin:

MissMM....that sounds really neat.....and saves on the bill.... :wink: :greengrin:

7. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    Nifty MissMM; gotta love anything cost effective! :thumb: