How Long To Quanrantine for Mites

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Shayna Meyer, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Shayna Meyer

Shayna Meyer Member

Nov 18, 2017
    hello!

So we just brought a new buck home. We have him quarantined but we JUST finished the three week treatment on our entire herd for mites and it got me thinking - how long would it take (if he had mites from his previous owners place or even newly picked them up from our place) for them to show physical signs of an infestation? How long should I be keeping him separate as a precaution?

Thanks for your help! ☺️

2. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Hmm that's a tough question! I mean they can always carry some mites, you don't really see signs of infestation until they have really bloomed in population!

Normally folks would quarantine in order to take a blood sample to send to a lab for CAE, CL, and/or Johne's Disease and then wait for those results. Other people also like to deworm goats that are new to their property pretty hard to eliminate new strains of parasites from being shed on the farm and then wait for those eggs to all be shed. I would say average quarantine time is like 3 weeks which is also approximately life cycle of some of the internal parasites.

happybleats likes this.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree.

But even then, it can pop up again if any are missed and they crawl to a goat again, they are very hard to get rid of.