The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New goat owner, began our herd just in June. By the end of June it was clear the goats all had copper deficiency (among other minerals as well which we're finding the balance on). I gave them all copper boluses to the best that I could (I didn't have a bolusing gun yet, I do now!)
2 out of the 3 it appeared kept the full bolus down, 1 bit half the bolus and so I'm not sure how effective that was.

We're not 6 weeks out and their tails are all looking about the same (maybe even a little more split). Should I attempt the copper bolusing again now that I have the gun and know they'll get it, or should I wait and see a bit longer?

I also have a 10 week old doeling whose tail is pretty split already, I didn't have her yet when we were doing the boluses in June so I don't think she's ever received anything. Should she get a bolus as well? if so what dosage for her?

Thanks!! :crazy:

·
Super Moderator
58,202 Posts
Do you have well water? Iron binds copper so it will take more if you have well water. What mineral do you have out for them? Chewing the copper is no big deal.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have well water? Iron binds copper so it will take more if you have well water. What mineral do you have out for them? Chewing the copper is no big deal.
We do have well water. Right now we've got manna pro free choice and then added selenium, kelp, and BOSS with their grain mixes.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,278 Posts
Rule of thumb is usually weight 3 months (with well water) if no improvement bolus again.

How much does the young one weigh?

Bolus should be given at 1 gram per 22lbs, if she's not 20lbs yet, don't bolus.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rule of thumb is usually weight 3 months (with well water) if no improvement bolus again.

How much does the young one weigh?

Bolus should be given at 1 gram per 22lbs, if she's not 20lbs yet, don't bolus.
Thanks, 3 months sounds right, I'm just impatiently staring at their tails all the time haha.
She's not 20 lbs yet so we'll keep weighing her and waiting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts