The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Fair-Haven
4,730 Posts
I think you have to divide this into: breed (mini, standard, etc). Number of times milking per day, if she is a mature doe or young, feeding kids or not , where they are in their lactation. This can vary drastically with all these variables. When does are on DHIR - these are all taken into account, so I'm not sure what all this will tell you. I can tell you that I like to see so many gallons per lactation, or average amount of lactation per day per goat. If mature, I want to see a certain number, usually measured by weight not ounces. I like 8 lbs. minimum on a mature standard dairy doe, depending on what else she has to offer.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I think you have to divide this into: breed (mini, standard, etc). Number of times milking per day, if she is a mature doe or young, feeding kids or not , where they are in their lactation. This can vary drastically with all these variables. When does are on DHIR - these are all taken into account, so I'm not sure what all this will tell you. I can tell you that I like to see so many gallons per lactation, or average amount of lactation per day per goat. If mature, I want to see a certain number, usually measured by weight not ounces. I like 8 lbs. minimum on a mature standard dairy doe, depending on what else she has to offer.
I agree 100%.
I just thought it would be fun..like the Kidding Talley. ;)
I was hoping most members would add some information about their goats as well: age, breed, number of kids, number of freshenings, etc. This isn't really for any specific information or research. I was just curious to see how much milk we all get a day, and how much milk that can accumulate too. :D

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
64 oz. + (I only save 2 qt. I usually get a bit more, but the cats get that).
Grade Nubian
3 yr. old FF, milking once a day. 1 month into lactation, and also feeding her 2 kids.
Thank you!
Total: 1,635.45 ounces
Our cat always lurks around too whenever we milk. He has only gotten milk from the goats once, but he is hopeful every time. :haha:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Last night: 24.5oz
This AM: 22oz
Averages 5cups a day.

She's a 3F Nigerian about 9 weeks fresh, her single buckling was weaned and sold last week so until last week she was only milked 1x a day.
Comes from solid dairy lines. Girl is thin right now, putting all in the pail. Unfortunately has a lack of great udder attachment, so I'm selling her to a friend as a home milker rather than basing my lines on her.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Oops I forgot yesterday!

Today I got 44oz from my one Nubian cross, milked once.
Her daughter has just been bred by our new Nigerian Dwarf buck, so I'm keen to see how much milk she produces later in the year when she has her kid(s)!

·
Registered
278 Posts
128 ounces commercial boer x. Weaned her kids last month and she still has not gotten to a point I can just leave her to dry off. Once a day at this point. Tried waiting longer but her bag was huge and she looked miserable.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I forgot to add my totals in..:haha:

Squeaks, Friday 5/15 evening..11.7. Morning & Evening 5/16..28.1 Morning & Evening 5/17..26.9
ounces. (66.7)
Lucy, Friday 5/15 evening...17.5. Morning & Evening 5/16..34.1. Morning & Evening 5/17..25.7
ounces. (77.3)

Total: 1,997.95 ounces
Almost to 2,000! :D

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,532 Posts
194 oz this morning. (I had to go convert because I record our weight as pounds LOL)

4 year 4F - F1 mini-Nubian (had trips) currently giving about 6-7lbs a day
4 year 3F - Nubian (had trips) currently giving 8lbs a day
3 year 2F - F5 mini-Nubian (in mid-late lactation, kidded with single so not optimal production) giving 5-5.5 lbs a day
22 month FF - Nubian (in mid-late lactation, kidded with single - recently dropped her curve) was giving 6lbs a day and has dropped to about 4lbs now.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts