The Goat Spot Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Kalopa Mauka
103 Posts
Just out of curiosity...
How long would it take to get a total of 1000 (Edit: Changing to 10,000 ounces) ounces of milk if everybody willing to share added their totals everyday/time they milk?
It doesn't matter how much or how little you get. Feel free to share milking stories if you wish..and PICTURES! ;)
This is layed out just like the kidding talley except it's milk, not kids. :haha:
And, it doesn't matter if they are dairy goats or other types (Fiber, meat, etc.) as long as it is goat milk. :D

I'll start..

This morning: 35 ounces
Number of does milked: 2

Can't wait to see how long it takes for us GoatSpotters to reach 1000 ounces!
:):):):D
I get about 128 ounces per milking, so 256 per day. Milking 4, two 7 y.o. Saanan crosses and 2 Tog crosses. Making more cheese than we can eat. Cutting in to cheese I made Spring 2016 (most of it is great, some a little dicey).

·
Chinook Wind Alpines
13 Posts
Lots easier to think in terms of pounds, or at least quarts & gallons. All ADGA records are in pounds, so anyone on production testing will think in those terms. If your doe gives you a gallon per day (8.6 lbs.) she will give you just under 1000 ounces per week. We get 10,000 ounces (625 pounds) per week from milking 11 does twice daily with an average production of one gallon per day, per doe.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
103.6 for the past 4 days out of ND, Squeaks (2 bucklings now weaned. Milked 2x a day.)
166.4 for the past 4 days out of Pygmy/Nubian, Lucy (1 buckling now weaned, Milked 2x a day)
Total: 3,098.35!!! or 193.65lbs

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
That's incredible @ak_sundog and @goat!
@ak_sundog, what breed of goats do you have? They sound like amazing producers!
@goat, how many goats do you have, and what breed are they? Congratulations on the new kid by the way. I saw the picture on the kidding talley. ;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
29oz from Pamela this morning. She choked on her grain a little right as I was about to start milking which scared the heck out of me! She was coughing up half chewed grain and lots of mucous. Freaked me out! Massaged her neck vigorously and she gave one more almighty cough, shook her head and then resumed eating like nothing had happened. Gah!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
29oz from Pamela this morning. She choked on her grain a little right as I was about to start milking which scared the heck out of me! She was coughing up half chewed grain and lots of mucous. Freaked me out! Massaged her neck vigorously and she gave one more almighty cough, shook her head and then resumed eating like nothing had happened. Gah!
That's scary. I'm glad she is alright now. I wonder what caused her to choke. Goats can be so strange sometimes, can't they? ;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
That's scary. I'm glad she is alright now. I wonder what caused her to choke. Goats can be so strange sometimes, can't they? ;)
It was definitely scary! I couldn't tell why it happened. I know sometimes horses do a similar thing, so I feed all my horses with a slightly wet-down feed. I wonder if wetting feed slightly would benefit the goats?? She milked totally fine afterwards and is perfectly normal today. Crazy critters for sure!

·
Registered
116 Posts
34oz from Pam today. Her supply is going back up again! This thread prompted me to begin recording how much I get from her each day where I hadn’t previously kept track. I’m still fairly new to goats, especially dairy goats! It’s interesting for me to see how much her supply fluctuates during her heat.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Forgot to update this for a little while...heh. Tonight I got 54.1oz from Pamela, only milked once per day. Way more than she usually gives!
Thank you! I need to add in my totals too..and add up the current totals. ;)
Pamela sounds like an amazing doe! Is she your only goat, and are you keeping any of her kids? :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thank you! I need to add in my totals too..and add up the current totals. ;)
Pamela sounds like an amazing doe! Is she your only goat, and are you keeping any of her kids? :)
She is a special girl! We have four goats at the moment, but Pamela is currently our only milker. She and her daughter Lacey are Nubian crosses (not sure what the cross is!). Then we have our Australian Miniature wether George, who was our first goat! We also a few weeks ago bought a Nigerian Dwarf buck who has bred both the does and hopefully we will have kids in October. We will probably keep any doe kids and sell any males as wethers for pets. When we first got the girls in November 2019, Pamela did also have a buck kid at foot. We recently butchered him so we may end up doing that again with a male kid...depending on how I feel at the time lol. I'm all for being as sustainable as we can be here and we raise all our own poultry etc...but butchering Arthur was hard for me!!

Another 54oz from Pam today. If she keeps going at this rate I'll have to get back to making cheese!

Total: 3,298.15oz

41 - 57 of 57 Posts