The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought home our first goats Sunday afternoon and while the little one is settling in just fine Lilly is having a harder time. She doesn't eat much unless I'm standing next to her. If I'm not right there she just stands and calls to me. She isn't even all that interested in her grain at milking time. I know she's just adjusting to the change and I shouldn't be worried, but I am a little. She is eating more and more everyday though. How long do you think it will take for her to settle in, and when should I worry? She is a first freshener who kidded a couple of week ago and was with the babies during the day when I picked her up. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I just want to make sure she's going to be okay!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
She's missing her home and her babies. It will take a few days. We had one like that and she stole a triplet from one of our other does.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I got my kinder doe Patti on June 2nd and she did that very same thing... First time freshener etc... She is just now calming down...... They took her kids away the day I came to get her. She is a challenge on the stand still, but even that is improving, and she has quieted down quite a bit. I'm sure my neighbors are grateful for that. Just give her a lot of time and attention, she will be okay. She is such a sweet looking girl:)

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
It depends on the goat. I've had some adjust in a few weeks, others took 6 months or longer. A guy that I was talking to about buying some goats told me it can take up to a year for them to really settle in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts