The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay y'all, so I have an option to choose any doeling I want from a friend's Homestead. She has a couple lamanchas, a lamancha/Nubian mix, and a couple Nubians. She has a Nubian buck so no matter who the dam is, the doeling will be half Nubian.

I was originally thinking I'd go with a lamancha/Nubian doeling and just cross my fingers that she wasn't super loud. We do have neighbors so a super loud, screaming goat would be undesirable. The reputation for being screaming ditz goats is the only reason I wouldn't go with a Nubian though....

My friend insists that her Nubians aren't loud, and thinks I should go with a pure Nubian so that I can look into registering her NOA for my daughters to potentially show her offspring.

Can't lie, I looove the Roman noses and long ears. Just super nervous about the noise...

Here's a not so good picture of the buck....

And the two does.

·
merryoaks
4,249 Posts
Some are...and some aren't. Mine isn't really any louder than the Alpines, just sounds different.
If your friend says hers aren't, I would believe her. I know some Nubian breeders with goats that yell their heads off, and other breeders have goats that are nice and quiet.
If it were my choice, I'd go with a full Nubian:)

·
merryoaks
4,249 Posts
Probably the reputation for being screamers comes from how they sound, not how loud they are. They sound way more like they're yelling than other breeds do.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
See, I have been at her farm twice, once for four hours straight that we were out with the animals. Both times they didn't say a peep. The chickens were louder than the goats. But I have one minimancha that hollers at me when it's food time in the morning and when it's "pasture time" (aka the second the dogs come inside after bathroom breaks) so I know my neighbors will tolerate and sometimes welcome a few bleats. But if it is nonstop or constant yelling I'd be forced to rehome her, and I just want to avoid that at all costs.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
:(

That is exactly what I feared.

Oh dear, what do I do?!? :(
Try it out...worst case, you sell/give her back? Some are louder than others and some only yell when they are waiting for feed. Mine are pretty good now. When Clarabelle was smaller, she yelled every five minutes!

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Try it out...worst case, you sell/give her back? Some are louder than others and some only yell when they are waiting for feed. Mine are pretty good now. When Clarabelle was smaller, she yelled every five minutes!
Is there any way to "train" them to be quiet? Lol, I'm reaching.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
She'll be dam raised, and her mom seems quiet at least, so I have that going for us at least! I'm hoping to get to witness the birth but, we'll see. High hopes!

·
Fair-Haven
4,710 Posts
Mine only "holler"" when separated, in trouble or they see me at feeding time. I guess for me a better question would be what your goals are for your goats, what is the quality of what you are looking at and the health of the individual, udder structure, etc. For me that would be much more important.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Right now we just want family milkers/pets. In the future I hope my kids will be in 4h/ffa and be able to show, but we can buy registered for that down the road. I simply want milk for drinking, cheese, soaps, etc, and to also let my kids experience nature and animal husbandry, if that makes sense!

·
Fair-Haven
4,710 Posts
In that case I would just look at udder structure of moms and overall health, and personality of mom as well. Kids tend to be like momma. good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
175 Posts
We've got Nubian's and they don't make a lot of noise. These are mostly does ranging in age from three years to toothless. The noisiest if you could call it that, are two young doelings who now and then complain if their am or pm feed isn't on time but otherwise, you wouldn't know the goats were there.

camooweal

1 - 20 of 33 Posts