The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first time breeding a boer girl she isn't due till 12/12 or 1/11 and she is a ff and huge I bred her with my ND first but a month later my boer buck was out with the girls and he did try to breed her not sure if they did or not so any ways she is huge!!! I am afraid of her baby/babies being too big so I was curious if they are known for multiples or not

image-3131437581.jpg

This doesn't even show how big she really is but u can kinda see

Attachments

·
14,615 Posts
Mine are mostly trippy. Only twice with singles, different does.
Then there's the sisters who take turns having quads every other year.
Is she getting grain & how much?

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
My uncle raised boers when I was little. His herd typically had twins and triplets, but I have heard of them having quads before but none of his did. I have one boer in my Nubian herd and she had twins last year when all my Nubians had triplets! So I would say roughly between 2 to 4 kids depending on genetics and how they were fed at and before breeding time. If they were flushed then there is a chance of triplets or quads. I think twins and triplets are more common place. My boer carries wide and is already a good size. Maybe a boer person will add info on here but to me they seem to carry wider then other goats.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She get half cup grain to a cup in am and pm and free choice hay I feed her just what I have done withy Nubian and cross breed does she is a little pushy I am going to cut back a little on grain the hay is good quality grass hay they also have ton to graze on

·
The more time we spend with goats, the wiser we be
1,625 Posts
Here's a boer pregnancy story: I had a doe (Faith) who got super huge every time I bred her. Her first kidding was a single (buck) who was pretty big at birth, but definitely not what I was expecting. Her second kidding was twins; one buck and one doe. The buck was about the same size as her first buckling (single birth), but the doeling was about 5 minutes from knocking on heavens gates (my avatar goat). She came along nicely and actually surpassed her brother size wise at about 4-5 months of age. I am super proud of her! :)

In summary: It all depends on the goat, but usually twins. You can flush them (increase feed before breeding) which will cause the doe to release more eggs. Therefore; depending on your feeding schedule; you could have anything between singles - triplets (with a possibility of quads). :)

If I were to guess on the picture I would probably say twins. :)

Hope this helps!

Patrick

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's a boer pregnancy story: I had a doe (Faith) who got super huge every time I bred her. Her first kidding was a single (buck) who was pretty big at birth, but definitely not what I was expecting. Her second kidding was twins; one buck and one doe. The buck was about the same size as her first buckling (single birth), but the doeling was about 5 minutes from knocking on heavens gates (my avatar goat). She came along nicely and actually surpassed her brother size wise at about 4-5 months of age. I am super proud of her! :) In summary: It all depends on the goat, but usually twins. You can flush them (increase feed before breeding) which will cause the doe to release more eggs. Therefore; depending on your feeding schedule; you could have anything between singles - triplets (with a possibility of quads). :) If I were to guess on the picture I would probably say twins. :) Hope this helps! Patrick
Thx I am super nervous cause she is so big with at least a month and a half to go I don't think I am over feeding but thinking of cutting her back my father inlaw use to sneak them treats but I put a stop to that right after breeding in fear of having too big of kids hopefully she will have twins or triplets

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Well the more she has usually the smaller they are so hope for 2 or more. I know people bump their grain up the last month or so.....I do not. I'm OK with 7-8 pound kids and easy to deliver. I cross my legs and say ouch every time someone says they have bigger then that lol

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the more she has usually the smaller they are so hope for 2 or more. I know people bump their grain up the last month or so.....I do not. I'm OK with 7-8 pound kids and easy to deliver. I cross my legs and say ouch every time someone says they have bigger then that lol
i am very happy with smaller healthy kids as a women who had a 10lb 6once baby I don't wish that on anyone lol

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
i am very happy with smaller healthy kids as a women who had a 10lb 6once baby I don't wish that on anyone lol
Wow!!!! I thought my 8lb1oz was big.
Your girl has a good baby bump on her but I give up on trying to guess how many they have in them. All my trips I had I thought for sure they were done at 2 or I swore some had more in them. I wish you happy kidding with small kids ;)

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I think she looks good. Keep it up and happy kidding.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow!!!! I thought my 8lb1oz was big. Your girl has a good baby bump on her but I give up on trying to guess how many they have in them. All my trips I had I thought for sure they were done at 2 or I swore some had more in them. I wish you happy kidding with small kids ;)
I have a terrible time guessing how many lol

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Wow!!!! I thought my 8lb1oz was big.
Your girl has a good baby bump on her but I give up on trying to guess how many they have in them. All my trips I had I thought for sure they were done at 2 or I swore some had more in them. I wish you happy kidding with small kids ;)
I had a 13 pounder (single) from a 105lb alpine doe this year! I thought I'd never get him out, he was half the size of his mom by 6 weeks! :eek:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts