The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In about 6 months, my doe, is going to be bred. For my fellow boer goat owners, how many kids does your doe have every kidding? I have heard that most of the time, boers have twins and triplets. I hope she has triplets, so I have 3 little babies to cuddle :lolgoat:

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Roll of the dice ;) some are more prone to singles, or twins but if you want three look into flushing the doe.
I don’t flush, I don’t want more then twins lol but basically right before you breed you up, I BELIEVE the protein in her feed. It won’t work for overly “healthy” does though.

·
14,615 Posts
For us it has been more common to throw trips than twins, even for first timers.
I do flush (feed grain) a few weeks before breeding and then gradually reduce the amount a week or two after being covered.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
It does depend on the doe, what and how much is fed, (Feed increase).
Known genetic producers of trips ect.

But even with that, you never know.

I do not like trips myself. I prefer twins. ;)

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
For flushing two weeks you would up her grain intake, for this I feed something like Deep charge or Sunshine plus. You would keep her on it for another week or two. I do it with most of my milkers

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yes, to all of the great suggestions above. I’m not sure how many a typical Boer has, but with ND’s, it’s often twins or triplets. I’m scared that if I really tried to flush my ND does they’d have sextuplets! I had a doe kid with quads this year (all survived). And I think that’s enough:). Who knows, I may try flushing this year.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
We have been breeding boers for about 7 years. All but one have always had twins. The one had singles. This past kidding season, we had 3 that delivered triplets. For me it was too much. We breed them in groups. They all were smaller than the normal twins we get, I had to help more than normal and we ended up with a couple bottle babies because the doe kicked them off.

We have 7 bred right now and I am hoping for twins.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts