How many did you start out with and how much did you pay

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Sonrise Farm, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    How many goats did you start out with and how much did you pay for them?

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I started with Bootsie, nigi/pygmy cross and paid $85 for her, Dolly my deceased full pygmy was added 9 months later and I paid $50 for her.

Regardless of price though, I can't complain as Bootsie is one of my best milkers! Still going strong after a year fresh!

3. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i started with a bred doe.. and i paid 350 for her..

but it all depends on what your looking for and what's available

4. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Is it bad not to remember how much you paid for your first goats?
    I do remember how much our second goats were, Upset was $400 and Beri $450. Both bred.

5. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Hope (in milk) and Uno, both for $80.

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i got my first doe for free. She was at the barn where i rode horses at.she followed me around like a lost little puppy, so the lady gave her to me. She was an alpine, and bred to a lamancha buck.
    beth

7. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California
    We started with 1 buck and 2 doe kids and paid $1200.00 for the 3 of them. Then my kids figured out how to swindle me into buying more expensive lines :ROFL:

8. karmouth

karmouth New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    ocala, FL
    I started with 2 does @ 75 a piece they are Boer %'s and then added 2 more a month or so later at the same price . That was in the spring of 06 . In the fall of that year I add a $50 paint buck. Sold him right after he did his deed for $75. I have used 2 other bucks that I have bought and the later sold for what I paid for them . 3 of the original are set to kid at any time . I have kept 3 does born here and added 3 others .the 3 I added were 100. apiece. I have since had 32 babies born here. All have sold for between $50 -$100

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I started with 2 unregistered does (1 nigi 1 nigi with a hint of pygmy) a wether and a registered buck. I payed 300 for them all.

10. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    The first goats I ever had were two Alpine does I got for free because someone owed my dad $$ and did a partial trade with the goaties. Many have come and gone since then and I'm not sure I remember the cost of most of them...

There were a couple years that I didn't have goats and then this past summer I bought 2 reg. Lamancha does for $150 each and an Alpine wether with a cart and harness for $200.

11. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    My first goat ever was a Boer wether I paid $150 for.

The start of my herd though was a 50% Boer doe named Sadie that I paid $300 for.

12. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    My first goat was Lyric a purebred unregistered Nubian, I paid $60 for her. I had originally bought her for putting orphaned lambs on or selling the milk for orphaned animals. I then kinda fell in love with the goats and then bought Heidi for $65. (I believe that's right anyways) And then I bought Lyrae for $350 (plus shipping which was $95) and then Chase was bought for $150 and then Orion was born. :greengrin:

13. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    When we moved to Iowa 3 years ago someone gave us a pygmy kid--Lillie for free. We then added two nigerian dwarf wethers ($80.00 for both) Lenny and Leo then last year we got two more nig dwarf wethers $100.00 for both Larry and Lorenzo. I think we are taking a break this year and not adding to the bunch. My daughter wants to get a barnyard pak from one of the hatchery. Ducks, chickens, turkey and geese. I am not so sure how that will turn out with our dog!!

14. DopeyOpie

DopeyOpie New Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Canada
    I just have the two boys (pets), but Opie was $75 I *think* and Tavi was $100.

15. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I started out with two unregistered pygmy doe kids, $80 each.

16. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Well...i got 2 for $100 because the guy thought I was a cute little :angel2: :ROFL: yeah right...anyway the next day I had three cause one kidded....

17. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    first goats were free

First mini goats were 150 each.

First registered Nigerian was $85.00 (yah they gave me a huge discount when they found out it was my birthday :hi5: )

18. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    We started out with just a very few, not sure on the exact number they arranged from $300-$400.

19. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    My first goat, Rosie (pygmy) was $150.

First registered Nigerian doe I bought was Honey -- got a screaming deal of $175 bred for her 'cause she was so wild.

20. goat fever

goat fever New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    I started out with Rueben and he was 50 dollars, then I sold him and bought Andy and Amos and they were each 50 dollars. They are just pets. Kibbles was given to us free. And Allie cost us 300.oo. My son's market goats usually cost around 75-100 dollars a piece. We only have four goats right now.