The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now we just have three Nubians and one Alpine. I have begun to look for a senior Alpine doe in milk, but I am having a hard time finding one I really like that is affordable and close by. Today, I found an ad for an absolutely gorgeous Lamancha yearling that is less than 3 hours from my house. On a whim, I sent the lady and email asking about her. I have always loved the breed, but I am worried that I am getting into too many different breeds. Two issues that come to mind is being able to make it to the rings at our club shows, and finding bucks for our girls come fall. Not to mention that my neighbor has a lot of stunning Saanens, so one day......

How many different breeds is too many, in your opinion? How many do you have?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
58,938 Posts
Whatever you can manage. There are people who have several breeds. Will cross offspring sell in your area? Can you easily find bucks to use. If it becomes unmanageable for you, then it is too much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
Or find a Nigerian buck and breed for mini Alpines, mini Nubians, mini Lamancha! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I would want to find a buck of the same breed as the doe. We are trying to stick to reg. purbreeds. I do know a lot of people with bucks of the breeds mentioned, it just might mean a lot of running around and trying to get them bred. Or I could do AI, but I am not sure if I would be able to do that myself without having to buy a nitrogen tank, amongst other supplies. If I got a Saanen instead, at least there are 5 champion bucks about 1/4 mile down the road. ;)

Come to think of it,an Alpine/Saanen cross has always appealed to me.... Catahoula, you are such an enabler. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
402 Posts
I have two Nubian does, an alpine doe and a Saanen doe. Have one Nubian buck and one alpine buck. My boyfriend wants us to get a Saanen buck but I can't justify buying one for just one doe. I was going to use the Alpine buck on my Saanen doe this year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,558 Posts
We have French Alpines and Nigerians, and wanted to keep it that way, but the only buck we could find last year was a Nubian, so now we have three Nubian Alpine cross doelings that we got too attached to to get rid of- plus well need them next year for milk, at least we'd really like to have the to milk next year. I think they'll have nicer, more milkable teats and udders than their dams and probably higher percentage butterfat, too! Which would be great, as our Alpines have very low butterfat.Amyway, I'm rambling, but I was going to say we finally bit the bullet this year and got a registered FA buck, so well probably try to eventually fade out the crosses and JUST have the two breeds, FA and Nigerian. :)
I guess whatever works for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input guys. She was sold to someone as a kid, and recently returned because they lost interest. She was kept alone during her stay there. This is what she emailed me back:

"Thank you for your interest in Caribbean. Let me try to answer your questions - hopefully I'll get all of them.

1) Caribbean is in good health, the main issue in her previous home is that she was not being adequately fed - she is still small for her age, but has gained considerable body condition and filled out since returning to us. Additionally, when we brought her back to the herd, she was dewormed, given Bo-Se and copper, her feet trimmed and gotten up to date on CD&T.

2) She has been previously been tested for CAE with negative results and since we were sending off some others, recently sent off another test although we have no reason to expect anything except a negative result - she was raised on milk from our herd and other than exhibition at one county fair and our local club show, has not been exposed to other ruminant livestock (sister had a market hog, but they're not a risk factor for CAE/CL). She has not been tested for CL - this could be done at buyers expense - but she does not have risk factors (exposure/ herd of origin/ extensive exhibition) or evidence of infection.

3) I do not have any current photos of Caribbean (she finally got clipped over the weekend), or Berkeley in milk as we had a pre-arranged sale once kids were born last spring and she left within days of freshening. However, photos of multiple maternal family members are on the Cadence website www.cadencedairygoats.webs.com (Arizona, Alaska, Cheyenne, Colorado etc) as well as a few paternal sisters. If you'd like to see the herd in person, visitors are welcome - we'll also be exhibiting at State Fair this weekend, including one of Caribbean's paternal sister/maternal aunt (same sire out of Caribbean's granddam Alaska).

I have attached 2 cell phone photos (about the only udder photos I have right now - its been so crazy this summer) of sisters. Cheyenne is full genetic sister to Caribbean's dam Berkeley. Buri is Caribbean's paternal half sister. Gives you an idea of the udder to expect.

4) As far as show wins, Caribbean's dam Berkeley was one of our strongest show does until she injured her rear leg (the reason we sold her to a milking home at freshening). She was reserve champion at 2 different shows, 3 rings, 3 different judges in 2011, and held her own against Kastdemur bred animals both at North Valley DGA show and Sonoma County Fair. Caribbean won her class in 2 of 3 rings last year at the Delta club show (under Tim Ness and Kristi Bozzo-Baldenegro) and I believe placed 2nd in the 3rd ring. She also has 2 paternal sisters who have not only been champion of the breed but junior best in show at large, competitive shows in Northern CA.

Caribbean would make a good foundation LaMancha doe for a 4-H/FFA project. It make take her some time to come into her own since the nutrition plane has limited her until recently but she is in condition to breed immediately and pregnancy, good nutrition and continued TLC can fix many things. She is available immediately (pending CAE results) for $300 to a youth home, or $350 bred to our Barnowl buck on-site (would be bred 8/3 for January kids). Feel free to call me if you have additional questions."

She just emailed me and said her results from Biotracking just came in today, and she is negative for CAE. :cool: Plus, the person who returned her had her alone from September to June ( :( ) , so she could not have picked anything up.





Opinions? She seems very nice and knowledgable, and I like her goats. I am still not sure if I can get the okay for getting another goat though, which is making me a bit nervous about getting too excited.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,944 Posts
How many different breeds is too many, in your opinion? How many do you have?
I don't think you can have too many different breeds. When you get right down to it, there are only 2 breeds - meat and dairy. As long as you can separate them as needed and provide necessary nutrition, I see no problem with getting as many breeds as you like. I have Kiko/Boer crosses with a few Nubians and Nubian crosses mixed in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The breeder is so nice, and her goats are wonderful. If it was completely up to me, she would already be mine! I am really hoping I can get the okay for this one. For a goat like this from breeders near me, some would charge around $800. :eek:

Thanks for the input everyone. :)
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
58,938 Posts
Well, I hope you can get her. I can't see paying $800 for a goat unless you are doing it as a business and are making a profit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I hope you can get her. I can't see paying $800 for a goat unless you are doing it as a business and are making a profit.
We might breed Rachel to their buck this year, which is almost as good. :) I can see where they are coming from, as their goats are absolutely gorgeous. If I had the money, I would buy one really nice kid to be a foundation doe. However, I only have the money from selling two kids this year, so I was super excited to find this doe. I hope she isn't sold before (if) I can get her.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
UPDATE: We are going to buy her! :cool: She is going to be bred to a nice LaMancha buck on the 3rd, and we are going to pick her up on the 4th. It was like it was meant to be, we were already going to go down to see our family for Herald day the day before we pick her up. AND she is going to be due on New Years Eve, whhich also happens to be my mom's birthday. It is going to be an early kidding, but we are ready! :D
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top