how many do you have? how many did you start with?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by ohiogoatgirl, Jun 18, 2010.

1. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    i was wondering...
    when i talk about mine to people around here they bombard me with ifs/ands/what abouts/etc

i have two
    both female
    both sannen
    milky way is a caramel color, like a caramel cream thats kinda swirled about
    she was born last january
    i'm gonna breed her in the winter so she'll kid in spring in good weather (no
    -13 F suprise births for me!)
    moonbeam is all white
    she was born this february
    hoping to breed her next year

so how about you? how'd you start? how far are you now?
    thanks!!!

2. LuvmyGoaties

LuvmyGoaties Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Re: how many do you have? hoe many did you start with?

I alos have 2, brother (wether) and sister Mini LaManchas
    I got them almost exactly 1 year ago when they were 8 weeks old. I plan on breeding Annie this winter - I'd like babies April or May of next year. :)

3. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

We have 6, started out about 2 months ago! 5 does and 1 buckling. Boe, is probably about 4 1/2 to 5 months old, and he is a 100% boer <not registered>.
    3 does are boer, another is boer and ?, and the one I rescued is a boer/nubian.
    2 does are pregnant and due ANY TIME.

I'm not sure how far we'll go - we're still learning the does and dont's. But eventually we'd like to maintain as many goats as we can handle w/the property we have for our kids to have 4-H goats, and to sell or sell for meat at the local auction.
    For now, it's a lot of fun having our little herd. They are all starting to get to know each other so much better, and it's fun seeing them adjusting. Our buckling is a two timer right now LOL

4. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

I started with one pet wether I was given.

The breeding herd began with a gift of three in-kid angora does, which each had twins.
    Then I was given a bunch of poddy boer kids to raise and keep.
    Somewhere along the way I rescued a dairy doe.

So I ended up with all three types of goats, fibre, meat and dairy. I started about 5 or 6 yrs ago. Of course did the regular buying/selling/breeding/kidding/retaining thing and at one stage I got up to 56. I sold most of the herd and leased out the remaining 20 or so due to moving to the other side of the country for a new job (quarantine restrictions means I couldnt bring them with me).

I intend to purchase 2 saanen doe kids next year and they will be the extend of my very large herd over here LOL unfortunately since I am now living in the city thats all I will be able to manage :)

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

I started with one Alpine 1 day old wether, got a boer doe companion in 2006.
    Now I have 15 Boer does, two FB Boer Bucks and a PB Alpine Buck.

6. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009

Started out with one doeling that was a gift. Went back and bought her twin sister so she wouldn't be lonely. Since then, we've added 8 more does and 2 bucks. We're not done acquiring them either. They're addictive, you can't have just two. :p

7. Re: how many do you have? hoe many did you start with?

I started with a buck and two does, then got three more does soon after.

Now I have 7 bucks and 25 does with 4 kids on the ground and more to come.

I had to go out and count as I could not remember. LOL

8. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010

My family had a cow dairy farm and we had goats around always too. I couldn't drink cow's milk, so the goats were always my buddies. Learned to milk very young. Then life got in the way for a long time. We started over with 2 bred does 8 years ago. Current count is 24 including 9 babies who will be gone soon, plus miscellaneous Churro sheep and poultry.

9. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Started out with two non registered pygmy does.
    Now I have about 65 AGS/ADGA nigerians.

10. silvergramma

silvergramma New Member

Nov 9, 2009
    I have about 30 now.. started with four given to me then four more were given to me .. we put one down and gave two of them away then had to put the other down due to aggressiveness.. after that we bought breeding stock...three does due now for August some for September..

11. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    I have 9 now. I always seem to start with 2 and keep them a variable period and then have to give them up for some reason. Usually moving or health problems. Hoping I can keep going with this herd because they are really nice goats. Anyhow, started with 1 nubian doeling and a nigerian buckling. Then bought a pg LaMancha doe who gave me twin doelings. Then was given a lovely LaMancha doe. Buck went by by because the does HATED him and he was constantly after them but never got anybody pg. Had a Fr Alpine buck long enough to get all 5 does pg. Kept 4 doelings from this past season. 4 does were FF and 2 I had not planned to breed. I'm milking the 3 does from planned breedings and left the doelings from the other 2 on their moms. About time to wean, but I so do not want to milk any more goats in this heat. 3 is about all I can handle. I'm thinking of only breeding the 5 older does this coming season so I don't get so overwhelmed. I KNOW I cannot milk 9 does. Don't really want to sell them either.

12. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Once I get set up on my new property, I will have 1 Saanen doe and her whether from this year plus a 3 year old mix of some sort who is a pet someone needs to get rid of. I plan on breeding my doe to kid out in hopefully May next year. She will be my milker and her whether goes in the freezer come fall. What my plan is...to have a few does that I can breed for meat kids. I do not want a huge herd, but as I have learned here.....!

13. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    We started out two months ago with two, a boer doe and a "nubian" doe who was sold as pregnant. The alleged nubian wasn't prego but the boer was. :p The "nubian" was also mean to the boer/kiko doelings we had gotten and looked like she wanted to ram my kids, so I traded her to the breeder of those doelings for another boer/kiko doeling. Then the breeder told me the "nubian" I thought I had bought was a boer/kiko doe! Guess the wicked horns and stocky body should have given it away, but what can I say? I was looking at the body color and floppy ears. (Rookies!)
    Now we have 9: Three adult boer does, a boer yearling doe, three boer/kiko cross doelings, an 88% boer buckling, and a boer/kiko whether. I've vowed to not buy anymore and just add on by breeding our girls once a year, retaining the doelings, but I would still like to buy an experienced milking nubian for milk (preferably polka dots so I can have polka dotted boer crosses!). I would like a herd of about 25-30 does eventually.

14. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I started with 2 twin sister fainters 6 years ago.... I now have on average 40ish.... LOL I don't count cuz then I'd have to admit the # to my hubby! Amazingly though.... they are all my babies. :)

15. sound4hound

sound4hound New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    We started in March 2009 with Moses. He is an angora wether and is now 2 years old. We got him free off of craigslist, nobody wanted him. Then a guy that runs a nubian dairy farm gives his boys away for free, wethered or not. We got Sammy and Chevy as babies and they are wonderful pets. We got Cinnamon for free from a friend, but he had an un-descended testicle and I wasn't ready for a buck, so we ate him. We got 3 mini mancha does last July. Not sure how old Willow is, but Delilah and Carmen were born in spring 2009. We got them free from craigslist too. We thought we'd stop there, but I have 3 daughter and one did not have a nubian wether as a pet. So back to the dairy guy for Jack. Then my hubby wants to start breeding so we took Tex too, but kept him as a buck. Well, you can't have a buck by himself and my girls are always taking their guys out of the pen for walks. Tex has a fit! So I started looking around for what I could breed with my girls. I wanted a pygmy, but haven't found one yet. Instead I found 2 more angoras - Toby - 4 month old buck and Solei - 1 year old doe. I was also fortunate to find a 1 year old nubian doe that isn't the greatest milker, but boy is she a super sweet nanny! We love Peaches. And I think that's everyone.

16. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    I started with 3 (a nanny and her two kids). They had three kids, which brought my total up to six. I sold the kids, and am back down to the original three again.

17. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I started with two wethers...and then got two does, and then got a buck, and then another buck, and just this past week added another doe. We also have two bucklings/wethers who will be going to new homes soon. So the current number is.....9 but will be 7 in a week or so.

18. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Our passion started with 2 boer/nubian goats, a wether and a Nubian.
    Now we have 33 goats. When we were raising boers we usually had over 60.

Right now we have 3 wethers. 1 Hermaprhradite. 2 bucks. and 24 does and 3 doelings.
    Life is good!

19. maple hill farm tina

maple hill farm tina Senior Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia
    We started with two unregistered does (alpine-boer crosses was our best guess). They were given to us by a former student of mine. We eventually gave those two away to a pet home, and now we have eleven registered goats - 2 Nigerian bucks, 2 Nigerian wethers, 1 Nubian doe, 1 mini-Nubian doe, and 5 Nigerian does. They certainly are addictive, and they are the sweetest animals I've ever owned.

-Tina

20. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Started with one doe in 08 and as of tommorrow, will have 3 registered Lamanchas,and 1 Alpine/Nubian which make up my "keeper" herd for now, I hope to breed 3 or 4 of them this fall,and maybe have a few doelings in spring to build up the herd a bit,and maybe finally get into showing, since it didn't work out as planned this year,and then maybe the year after I will get a buck or two, if I have enough does for it to be worthwhile. Think I wanna wait till I have at least 6 does, but I'm working full time,about to start college, and the goats are my thing so its probably best to stay small and simple for now.