How many does can a buckling breed?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by QualityCaprine, Nov 20, 2008.

1. QualityCaprine

QualityCaprine New Member

Nov 24, 2007
    While I am in college, my does are at a cheese dairy. I taught the dairy owner Charuth how to AI this year, and she has had pretty good sucess. Next year, it looks like we will have 2 bucklings for the whole dairy. There will be 60 milking does(not including doeslings). Two mature bucks could handle that number, but I am guessing we need to AI almost all of those does to get the numbers down for the bucklings. We have about a 1/3 to 1/2 sucess rate on AI. All the doelings will be bred to the bucklings late in the season, and will use the bucklings as clean up earlier in the fall. I remember reading something and I believe it was 15 to 20 does for a buckling. Any ideas?
  2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    well it depends if you expect him to breed all teh does at once. If you are planning on spreading it out a bit then he could service quite a bit during the whole breeding season

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Also make sure he is in excellent body condition a little over weight is OK but...(not fat) prior to breeding ....if he is going to breed them all in the same breeding period.....All he has on his mind.. is breeding and they tend to forget ...about eating .....especially if there are does in season... :love: ..As stacey mentioned .......if you spread it out will be easier on the buck's and less demanding on there health....They can service the which if there are 2 bucks makes it 30 does each.......If it is all at once........ be sure to monitor his body condition... If he is healthy going in ...he may be under weight by the time he is finished... :(
  4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have to agree with mini boys of course are pretty much in rut year round but it's worse come late August through January...all 3 of my boys vary in age..from 9 months to 4 1/2 years old....I have a problem getting meat on their bones because they are so preoccupied with the non-bred girls, so it would be best to have those bucklings a bit over conditioned before the rut.
  5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    thanks Liz.... :)
  6. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    I agree with Liz, ours are in rut year round too but their worst is in August-January too, one of our young Mini-Nubian bucks bred 4 does one year as clean-up.