The Goat Spot Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Started with 2 does. A friend gave me another doe and a wither Then got a buck(5) two does had one baby each one does died durning labour (7) sold both kids. (5) Yay me. Rebred. One doe and had triplets (8)sold a doe (7)bought a doe with triplets at foot (10) sold buck bought a new one stayed even bought three more does (13). Had a nasty horrible case of orf had to put down 10. 3 left. Now have bought 2 more doelings an have 2 does about to kid. So final tally today is 5

· Registered
499 Posts
I posted how many but not genders or breeds. I have San clementes right now. Five does and four bucks. I'm selling three does and two bucks and getting two nigerian does and two nigerian bucks along with one more San Clemente doe. Hope that makes sense:)

Attachments

· Registered
17,201 Posts
part with them??? Im trying to be tough about it on who to sell, I have 4 that just need to go, but I need to sell more. I look at some and say, 'shes not the direction I want to go, but dang she is a great mom and always gives good live kids' I think I just need to go on a trip and tell everyone the number I want down to and let them just grab some to sell lol
I am incredibly nit-picky about my goats. If there is one thing I don't like about them, i dont keep them.
Keep the best, get rid of the rest. It cost just as much to feed a winner as it does to feed a looser, I realized that a long time ago, and since I had a show herd back then, an animal not fit for show simply wouldn't be kept. That is how I have always kept things.

I don't get attached to hardly anything. The only animals I would not part with, would be my does Peeps, and Babette my 27 year old horse, my bull and shorthorn cow.

Sounds cruel, but I don't want to burn money on something that doesn't fit with my standards. You just gotta know when to draw your line, and put your foot down.

Don't keep everything that's good, keep what's great, show stopping, awesome.

My 60 has dwindled down to 15 over a period of 17 years, so it wasn't all at once. And that 60 was my show herd, but I just didn't need 60 goats. 15-25 is where I like my herd to be now.

· Registered
1,219 Posts
I am just starting my herd. I have three very well bred does. And one who will be a pet and companion to the others. All are babies still. Contemplating buying a buckling or buck.. Will see how the breeding season goes next year. I was picky about the does and I will be extra picky about who to breed them too. Fun stuff!!!

· Adopted by Goats
1,331 Posts
July 1st I had 8. Sold 4 boys (twin wethers and twin bucks). July 31st I had 4. Last week purchased 3 Nubians. Now I have 3 Nubians, 1 BoerX doe. 1 Special Needs wether. 1 Nubian/Alpine/something small doe I am milking, and her daughter whose daddy was a black Spanish buck (sold him last winter). 2 of the Nubians are suppose to be prego and could pop in Oct.

· Adopted by Goats
1,331 Posts
1nubian doe, 2alpime does,4 nigerian bucks, 12 nigerian does at the moment.
Any particular reason for the variety? I ask because I just purchased Nubians for a milking business I want to start up, but the idea of creating a mixed breed milking goat really appeals to me. Maybe breeding the Nubians (who are so big) to a Nigerian buck for a smaller goat. I really like the looks of my little milking doe I have right now--she looks like a deer and her milk is so tasty, but not very creamy.

· Registered
116 Posts
I have:
1 Alpine doe ( due to be bred to a Nubian buck
in this upcoming December)
1 (small) dam Alpine-x- with mini ? (looking to breed her to a ND or Pygmy if I can find a local breeder)

1 wethered kid ( plan to use him as a pack goat)

I am looking for a pregnant LaMancha to buy to add to my small herd.
Also interested in someday getting a Saanan.

· Registered
1 Posts
We have 8 goats total! We used to have close to 30, but had to sell the majority because of the cost of feed. But anyways, we have 1 buck, 3 nannies, and 4 kids (all boys). We'll be selling the kids once they're weaned and hopefully adding a couple of new nannies to the herd. Very excited!

· Super Moderator
16,615 Posts
I am incredibly nit-picky about my goats. If there is one thing I don't like about them, i dont keep them.
Keep the best, get rid of the rest. It cost just as much to feed a winner as it does to feed a looser, I realized that a long time ago, and since I had a show herd back then, an animal not fit for show simply wouldn't be kept. That is how I have always kept things.

I don't get attached to hardly anything. The only animals I would not part with, would be my does Peeps, and Babette my 27 year old horse, my bull and shorthorn cow.

Sounds cruel, but I don't want to burn money on something that doesn't fit with my standards. You just gotta know when to draw your line, and put your foot down.

Don't keep everything that's good, keep what's great, show stopping, awesome.

My 60 has dwindled down to 15 over a period of 17 years, so it wasn't all at once. And that 60 was my show herd, but I just didn't need 60 goats. 15-25 is where I like my herd to be now.
No nothing wrong with that. That's how I was raised they just sorda lost me on it. Maybe that's my issue I don't show I just wanted commercial stock but now plan to go reg. But if I did that right now I would have no goats lol. Maybe next year that will be my plan....I'll try to be strong. And I get attached easy I have a 22 year old cow that is just a hag maggot to prove it :)

· Registered
5,528 Posts
I personally have 4, as it says in my signature. :)
But my family owns 3 Alpines and their 3 doelings from this year, and an Alpine buck.
So together we have 11.
We used to have more Alpines and a lot of Nigerians- I think we may have had twenty total at one point.
I would like to have a herd of maybe 20 Nigerians one day. I don't know, maybe 15, but it sure is hard to keep it down. :)

· Adopted by Goats
1,331 Posts
I have:
1 Alpine doe ( due to be bred to a Nubian buck
in this upcoming December)
1 (small) dam Alpine-x- with mini ? (looking to breed her to a ND or Pygmy if I can find a local breeder)

1 wethered kid ( plan to use him as a pack goat)

I am looking for a pregnant LaMancha to buy to add to my small herd.
Also interested in someday getting a Saanan.
Where are you? I just purchased but did a lot of looking for dairy goat breeders and advertised a lot (as I am in meat goat country so wasn't easy to find). I got a referral for a woman in South Texas near Uvalde who has LaManchas.

· Registered
144 Posts
As you might be able to tell, I like to post questions threads...even though this is only my 3rd one.... Anyways, How many goats do you have? I only have 4, but I have a doe, buck, kid, and wither. The kid was born August 4th, and we are hoping to breed my doe in January, then born in March, and she should have twins, so we will sell one of the kids.
I think I have 29 lol
1 spotted nubian buckling(King Triton)
2 registered boer bucklings(linkin park and Buzz
1 paint boer buckling on loan(apache)
1 saanan buck(miguel)
1 nigerian doe(kitty)
1 nubian/lamancha doe(polka dotty)
1 boki doe(lexi)
1 registered boer doe(princess duck)
1 50/75% paint doeling (reg under abga and usbga)panda
2 purebred boer doelings(katy perry& bella)
1 boer/nubian doe(sobe)
2 boer/lamancha does(shelby & trouble)
3 pygora wethers(jasper, skipper and bandit)
2 pygora does(april & pearl)
3 boer/nubian/lamancha/kiko doelings( kricket, dipstick & dani)
1 boer/nubian/sannan doeling(mocha)
1 purebred nubian doe(mamma)
1 lamancha/kiko/boer/nubian doe(curly sue)
2 boer crosses (esme & mavis)
1 boer/kiko/nubian/ lamancha doe(jazmin)

· Registered
1,035 Posts
I currently have 1 wether, 2 bucks, 7 does or doelings. For a total of 10. One is for sale. My limit is 10 adult goats, and technically three of those does are not adults. But I am keeping two of them and the third needs to go find a home so I have room for my second nubian this spring.

15,548 Posts
We did have 13, but sold a buck kid, doe kid and a wether the weekend before last.
We have 11 now, as we bought a buck for breeding.

Currently we have:
1 kiko/cross 4yo doe
1 Nubian/boer 5yo doe
2 100% Boer does 20mo.
1 75% boer 18mo.
1 100% Boer doe 4mo.
1 Kiko/Boer doe 7mo.
1 Nubian/Boer doe 6mo.
1 100% Boer buck 16mo.

2 market wethers who are 7mo that will be sold in about 3 weeks.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.