How Many Kids Do Nigerians Typically Have?

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by MellonFriend, Aug 31, 2017.

1. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I've heard that 2-4 is common. Does four really happen commonly? or is it really more like 2-3, and does 1 ever happen if they are healthy? Also do first fresheners have less kids than they will in the future?o_O

2. IHEARTGOATS

IHEARTGOATS Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Zebulon, NC
    The highest percentage is 2
    1 and 3 are about the same probability
    4 or 5 is lower
    I had a doe freshen 3,4,3,4
    Her daughter has had 2 twice
    Her granddaughter had 4 as a FF
    I have one doe who has had a single every time
    I've had a couple have 2 every time
    I've had one have 2,2,1,2
    One had 2,3,2

I hope that helped :)

I can tell you if I had a choice I would take 2 every time

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017

3. MellonFriend

Thanks that really does. How come you would prefer 2?

capracreek likes this.
  4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Because goats only have 2 teats.

Bobbi J Hofland likes this.
  5. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    2 teats ;) No uneven udders, no runt that always gets kicked off.

capracreek and billiejw89 like this.
  6. BrokenArrowRanch

BrokenArrowRanch Active Member

Jun 6, 2013
    A doe I sold had 4,3,3,4,2,2,3.her daughter had 2 then 4. Another does had gave me 2 sets of twin bucks grr. And another a set of twin bucks. Having twins is easier. Only doe I trusted to care for them all was the first doe I sold. Regret selling her every day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Goat Forum mobile app

capracreek likes this.
  7. MellonFriend

Oooh,:rolleyes:, I should have thought of that. That makes a lot of sense.

8. capracreek

capracreek Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2016
    Missouri
    I have a registered Nigerian doe who had 2 FF and 4 second
    I have another registered who has had 1 each time.
    I prefer two as both get to nurse equally. With 4 it was a struggle making sure all got enough at a feeding. Then the bigger stronger ones pushed the back. 2 is so much easier.

mariarose and IHEARTGOATS like this.
  9. IHEARTGOATS

IHEARTGOATS Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Zebulon, NC
    2 usually have the best birth weights also
    Say from 2.5 lbs to maybe 4 lbs
    When you get triplets and quads you can have some under 2 lbs
    They can survive down to about 1.5 lbs but takes some work
    i know a couple of people that have had 6 and all survive

ETA
    I would say the sweet spot is 2 kids about 3.5 lbs

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    mariarose and Suzanne_Tyler like this.
  10. BORGIA

BORGIA Member

Mar 17, 2017
    My mother goat had 2 last year and 3 this year. One of the doelinhs she had last year had 1 this year and the other didn't get pregnant.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Goat Forum mobile app

mariarose likes this.
  11. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    Annika (my avatar) had 2,3,2,4. The triplets were all bucklings and she nursed them herself with no problems. By the time she had quads we were pulling babies to bottle feed anyway, so she didn't nurse them. Her daughter has had two sets of twins.

12. daisymay

daisymay Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2017
    oregon
    My ff 2 year old had a single. I didn't know any better and one side was not nursed on. I started hand milking but wasn't quick enough so she is lop sided this year. I believe she was out of triplets. I purchased her when she had a month and a half in pregnancy left to go. I didn't over feed her as I was worried about having a large single.she was likely to have one as she was checked at osu.

13. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I thought they were known for litters! I have a FB friend that raises NDs and hers has quads and quints every single dang time. We have been friends for about 3 years now and so far the smallest I have seen was or had triplets 2 kiddings ago.

14. daisymay

daisymay Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2017
    oregon
    my ff also didnt get grain, dont know if that makes a difference or not....

mariarose likes this.
  15. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

Perhaps @Jessica84's friend is really good at flushing, and also her does are really excellent mothers????

I know I only want twins. Singles tend to get too large, and litters have "tangling in the womb" issues. Twins are perfect.

16. MellonFriend

What is this-"flushing"? I have heard of it before and I couldn't seem to really understand what it meant.

17. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Maybe so but knowing nothing of the breed and just watching her birth announcements I thought that was the normal thing for these goats!
    Ok flushing, if I can explain it right is right before breeding you jump the protein levels up/up the feed for them. This will not work if a goat is really really in condition though. The body basically kinda says wow we are having a really good year so let's drop some eggs lol since I'm good with twins and detest anything more then 2 and I don't like playing with feed that much lol I don't flush. I did I guess flush on accident for 2 years but didn't have a choice lol I bought some alfalfa hay with a lot of weeds in it and come to find out when those weeds are cut at the right time are super high in protein. Those two years I had the most triplets till last year which I can not explain one bit! I fed straight alfalfa but I guess maybe my parents did a super job on it and it was better then years before, no clue lol

mariarose and MellonFriend like this.
  18. ShireRidgeFarm

ShireRidgeFarm Active Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Northern WV
    Feed flushing (giving a doe extra grain for ghe few weeks before being bred) really increases the number of kids a doe will have.

I'd say most goats have twins or triplets, but my girls regularly have 3 or 4 kids when I feed flush - my first freshener last year had 4.

One of my does had just 1 kid at the farm she came from, but she has had 4 kids and then 5 kids for me. She set the farm record!

Sent from my VS501 using Goat Forum mobile app

MellonFriend likes this.