How many kids?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by TexasRanger, Apr 28, 2010.

1. TexasRanger

TexasRanger New Member

Feb 2, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Any tricks on telling how many kids are in a doe? Ultrasounds are a little expensive in my area ($1,000+) :angry: . The doe is in good health, I'm just curious and impatient :greengrin: .

2. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    Post pics and we'll all guess! :D

3. 7acreranch

7acreranch New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Eastern OK
    Even the most patient person will become an impatient person if they own goats. :laugh:
    Does she have a history of twins OR how bout her mom and sire.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Some does can carry deep ...and it is hard to tell sometimes..... later in the pregnancy... we alot of times... can do good guesses :wink: ....I am with you...I wish ...they had a little peeking glass..... so you can see inside.... :wink: :thumb:

5. TexasRanger

TexasRanger New Member

Feb 2, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    When I bought her she had twins on the ground, her last batch were twins also. So I'm guessing twins is a good possibility? Here she is:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (These pics are from the 12th, I'll get some newer ones when I go out to feed)

6. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    I'd say twins are a safe bet...maybe even triplets :shocked:

When is she due?

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Could be trips.... but.. if she has been having twins... then she still may... I have had them fool me before though..... :wink:

8. TexasRanger

TexasRanger New Member

Feb 2, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    She is either due in May or June. Here are some pics I took this evening.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    when you say ultrasounds are expensive ... do you mean, to actually buy one yourself?

Because if you REALLY wanted to know, and you have a large animal vet (or even a small animal vet who is open minded), put her in the car and drive her into the vet and get them to ultrasound her :) they shouldnt charge you much more than just a consultation fee.

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    twins for sure -- triplets are a possibilty but she doesnt look like a super long doe so who really knows.

11. TexasRanger

TexasRanger New Member

Feb 2, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    In a lot of goat books, magazines, and websites it mentions that maiden does tend to have a single kid, and from then on have multiples. How much truth is in this? My three maiden does:
    Snickers:2
    Belle:1
    Brier:1
    Snicker's mom only had Snickers, and her sister only had a buckling. Those were both of their first kids. The same buck was used on all three does, they also got the same amount and kind of food. Mishka, the grey and white, has always had twins. Genetics people I would love your input.

12. I would guess twins to be honest.

As for what you have read I am not real sure. I have heard that some farms that have really uped their protein has pulled of trips almost every time. Personally I want twins everytime. It doesn't off set the tits and it does not over stress the does body. Twins are always my fave nothing more nothing less.

13. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    I'm guessing most likely twins-she could have triplets-but I doubt that she will. Then again I thought my first doe of the year to kid would have triplets and she hid an extra one in there.